Informatica Test Data Management Review

Data masking allows us to create test environments with data that looks real. Built-in masking rules can be customized.

What is most valuable?

The product provides four main features:

Data discovery to profile data and mask sensitive data.

Data subsetting to take a subset of production data from all schema tables while preserving referential integrity.

Data masking to create masking rules and mask the fields that we select.

Data generation If we don’t want to mask production data, the tool can generate data based on rules that we configure.

All of the features are strong, however my favorite is data masking. Also, it provides many built-in rules and rules that we can customize to mask all types of data. The masking engine is very strong.

TDM includes built in policy packs, and these are masking and data discovery techniques that are created for common confidential fields like name, Date of Birth, address… Such fields that you can find almost in every database in any company.

The data discovery techniques are regular expressions (RegEx) that are executed on the metadata (the column names) or the data itself to find matches to my discovery.

Example: a data discovery rule with a regular expression set to *name* will find all the fields that include “name” like First_name_EN, full_name_FR… but it will not return the field FN_EN (And I mean by this First Name English)

So if I want to discover all the fileds in my database that might include names I will miss some, since the data discovery rule with RegEx = *name* is very simple and needs to be more complex to cover all columns syntaxes.

How has it helped my organization?

I did the implementation for many clients. It is mostly used to mask production data and get values that are realistic but not real. With this, they create development and testing environments with data that looks like it’s real. Developers and UAT will be able to work with such better data sets.

What needs improvement?

Data discovery and the built in policy packs are very simple; they need stronger ones.

I have been using Informatica since 2012.

I have not encountered stability issues.

I have not encountered scalability issues.

Informatica provides good support for this tool, from knowledge base to tickets for direct support. Any issue is always solved thanks to their support.

I have not used another tool.

To install TDM, you need to install PowerCenter first, which is another Informatica tool. So the installation takes time but it’s always smooth and not that complex.

This is the only product I’ve used.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it. A very user friendly tool and it’s not mandatory to be technical to use it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a partner with the vendor.