InfoVista 5View NetFlow Review

Great for service discovery and load balancing and enables us to monitor the traffic flow

What is our primary use case?

We use InfoVista 5View NetFlow to understand how network traffic is balanced in operations for load management and diagnostics with PHP coded applications. We implement InfoVista 5View NetFlow on our customer sites so that we can start from the core service of hosting SaaS applications for our business.

In our use case, the network traffic implements a different load manager from the cloud-hosted applications, so that they stay in balance more. InfoVista 5View NetFlow allows us to control the application layer and manage API connections, i.e.  Facebook logins or whatever other third-party API services we require.

How has it helped my organization?

We use InfoVista 5View NetFlow on a private cloud. This product has improved the way our organization functions through the better discovery of services. We check the IP address for Office 365 and other cloud applications used in business operations.

We use InfoVista 5View NetFlow to understand the cost of the problems on our network links. We monitor the traffic flow and check which application is causing a lot of traffic.

Instead of buying more bandwidth, we target the pocket with very high traffic. We move these applications so that the traffic is served through another partner.

From Milan to Rome, we use various utilities for network load balancing for applications requiring excessive traffic. We monitor the traffic with InfoVista 5View NetFlow before going to the business and checking the on-site location for problems or issues.

What is most valuable?

InfoVista 5View NetFlow is very powerful. It can go into the network to discover very low-level trouble in two or three seconds. The package supplies us with very good features. In a low range of time, it can certify network processes where you can see the data.

Diagnostics is one of the main features that we value with InfoVista 5View NetFlow, but there are a lot of good features and utility tools with the platform. It is easy for us to manage administration tasks with it. InfoVista 5View NetFlow can generate reports for whatever issues you require.

What needs improvement?

We requested specifically this solution for the portal. There are a lot of other solutions that we have already dedicated to the network and firewall to monitor the data flow. InfoVista 5View NetFlow is as good as the IBM products. It solves a different problem for us.

We don't have any specific issues on InfoVista 5View NetFlow. I would just like to have some more documentation. A little bit better documentation on the details is needed because this subject is not easy sometimes to understand, which limits the capability of the software.

InfoVista 5View NetFlow is stable. It runs 24/7 on our network.

For deployment and maintenance, we have more than six staff members with the network administration team. I have to do some tasks manually like updating the system.

The technical support was helpful over the basic issues. The support staff is not expert-level, but they will tell us not to worry about most problems until someone else contacts us with more details.

We did not use any previous net-flow applications from any source. This is the first solution that we have used. There was another product, but it went EOL 15 years ago. This one is a new solution and a different product. It does a good job.

The initial start-up is not complex. We will install it over one day. To deploy InfoVista 5View NetFlow was a little slow, but initially, it was very easy to install. To configure it takes about two or three days.

I am the integrator for our business services to implement InfoVista 5View NetFlow.

Our ROI is from improved billing with the ISP for bandwidth, where we have more or less traffic on the different service providers so that we can save money.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate this product a 10. I would still like to see some new features. InfoVista 5View NetFlow improves our service discovery.

I see sometimes a few stability problems with the software on tracking new alternative systems of encryption, but InfoVista 5View NetFlow is efficient to map the names of the I/O processes. Most reports take less than five minutes to generate.

Sometimes we need to tend to issues once every week or once we move network data. I recommend to anyone to go and play on the software. The more you play on the system, the more you will understand InfoVista 5View NetFlow.