Infrascale Backup & Disaster Recovery Review

Responsive and helpful support, good disaster recovery features, and scales well

What is our primary use case?

We are a managed services provider, so we use them in multiple environments.

In our company, we use it as our backup and disaster recovery solution. We have an on-premises appliance that all of our servers and data backup onto. That replicates out to the Infrascale cloud data center and then from there, we have both our on-premises and offsite backups.

If anything were to ever happen in the buildings, we can spin up on either appliance, on-premises, or on the cloud, depending on the disaster, and get us back up and running. That's pretty much the same model we use for all of our partners that are out there. We have between 30 and 40 different partners that we're using Infrascale products on.

How has it helped my organization?

We do not have many disasters but when we do, our recovery times are significantly less than they used to be. I would estimate recovery time to be less than a quarter of what it was previously. Ultimately, this leads to less downtime for all of our partners.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is disaster recovery, where we have the ability to boot up VMs quickly in a disaster. It gives us the option to have the on-premises and cloud appliances boot up if anything ever happens to one of our on-premises servers.

What needs improvement?

The pricing model that they recently changed to is a little bit complicated, and the biggest area for improvement is a better way of figuring out how to price it. It would really simplify it for us if the pricing model were put back to the way it used to be.

We have been users of the Infrascale Platform for approximately two years.

Overall, it has been pretty stable. We haven't had any problems as far as the stability of the appliances goes. It functions and does what it needs to do.

This is a pretty scalable product. We started with just our deployment in our office and now we deploy these out pretty quickly to our end-users. If growth happens from a partner standpoint, which is good, Infrascale helps us out with that. They make sure that we have whatever upgraded equipment we need, which is all part of the agreement.

We have four people that are the primary ones who work on Infrascale. They're our NOC services team and they manage our toolset and proactive stuff for our customers. Included in the team is their primary backup person, who uses it on a daily basis. The role includes double-checking everything, making sure we're not getting any errors, making sure everything's getting backed up, and things like that.

About 50% of our customers are using the full IBDR solution. We have some stragglers that are using an old legacy solution, as well.

We talk quite a bit to their support, just to make sure we're staying up to date. We are pretty happy with support overall. They're very responsive when we do have questions and not just support, but our whole account team.

Every time I have a question, I just send an email out and I get a person on the phone quickly. Their account management and support are both very good.

Prior to Infrascale, we were using ShadowProtect. We started to run into some issues with the way it functioned, and its scalability to a certain extent, which is why we switched.

It's a pretty straightforward process to get set up and running. Their team supported us through the first couple of deployments and we're able to get them going pretty quickly now.

The deployment we use is an on-premises appliance and then we also have the cloud appliance on the backend.

During the initial setup, you plug in the appliance and then there's a Hyper-V agent that gets installed on our Hyper-V host. It pulls in our VMs and starts backing them up. The deployment time is really not bad at all. We can get an entire site backed up and deployed and done in a day. This includes having it fully backed up in the cloud, in most cases.

Our in-house team is responsible for deployment and the vendor supports us, as needed.

The licensing is based on how much data you have plus what appliances you need. We find it more difficult than the old model, which was based on straight per-terabyte pricing. They still try to break it back to per-terabyte, but in its current form, it makes it a little more difficult for us to quote for our partners.

There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

We looked at a couple of different solutions before implementing Infrascale. These included Veeam and Datto. All in all, the packaging of Infrascale is why we settled on it. There was no large upfront cost to buy a big appliance, as Datto would have given us. In the case of Veeam, we would have had to provide our own hardware.

Datto is probably the closest thing we looked at to Infrascale. The biggest con to Datto versus Infrascale is that there are upfront costs to get your appliances set up, which could be a pretty big cost for your customers. In the case of Infrascale, there are no upfront costs. It's all built-in.

If I was going to say one downside to Infrascale, it's the three-year contracts, but I understand why they have to do that. With the no upfront costs, they have to make sure they're going to get their money back too.

In the case of Veeam, it is just the software part of it. It is not an all-in-one solution. You have to provide your own hardware and cloud, whereas with Infrascale, the all-in-one one solution that just took care of it all for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell anybody who is interested in Infrascale to use it. This is a good product and I recommend it. My advice for anybody who is implementing it is to make sure they utilize the Infrascale resources that they have available. Their tech support and account management teams are among the best we work with and have been super helpful.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this product is that we should have switched years before we did. This is a solid product, and other than the licensing model, we don't have any complaints.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
More Infrascale Backup & Disaster Recovery reviews from users
...who compared it with Veeam Backup & Replication
Learn what your peers think about Infrascale Backup & Disaster Recovery. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.