Ipanema IpIengine Review
Application visibility is the strongest point. Would be nice to be able to set QoS Profiles individually per location.

Valuable Features

Application visibility is without doubt the strongest point of this product and the most valuable to me as a user. I can see what volume of data is flowing per application, per source, per destination etc. I can see where the traffic is going to, where it's coming from, I can see packet loss percentages, delay, jitter, loss values, AQS (Application Quality Score) which is calculated from values that the customer themselves specify on the centralised management platform.

Room for Improvement

Tough one... I suppose being able to set performance targets or QoS Profiles individually per location would be nice. At the moment, the solution is geared towards the global enterprise environment and thus Global settings. That being said, this global management ads a great ease to any deployment and is actually one of the product's strong points.

Use of Solution

18 months

None really. You can stage the ip|engines anywhere in the world, have them shipped to site, plugged in and hooked up to the network and the SALSA management platform will find it and start gathering stats straightaway. SALSA also centrally provides the config to each engine in terms of its bandwidth management and QoS profiles. In this case, deployment is fairly easy.

None yet. I believe these are the kind of boxes which can be put into a network and forgotten about, not least since they're managed centrally but they also have a high MTBF.

None yet and we have a global estate of almost 250 engines.

The vendor TAC are really good. Extremely quick to respond when cases are raised via email and efficient at resolving any issue or answering any query.

Initial setup was handled by Ipanema Professional Services.