iServer Review

Setup is straightforward, but the display of relationships between objects is not automatic.

What is most valuable?

Surprisingly little.

How has it helped my organization?

It hasn't really improved the way our organisation functions. iServer provides a repository for the reuse of objects, but that is about all that is of use. It means we may save some time from not having to retype things, but the overhead of maintaining these objects is quite large. There is supposed to be features around impact assessments (i.e., what systems are being used by what), but that reporting is a bit clunky, and hence not used very often, if at all. Because the system relies on using Visio, and there is no live-link between them, the repository and what is displayed in Visio must be checked out and refreshed to reflect changes.

What needs improvement?

The display of relationships between objects is not automatic if they exist in the repository.

I've used it for 12 months.

No issues encountered.

7/10 as the customer service is quite good, however, unfortunately the product itself isn't.

7/10.

We used Visio/PowerPoint. I'm not sure of the value of the switch, and if I had my way, I'd switch back.

It was straightforward.

We used a vendor team.

It's supposed to make us more efficient, but that hasn't been borne out during use.

I don't know the setup costs, but it's day to day ones are negligible.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I would say that it's a poor man's EA repository. It seems like a good idea, but doesn't really work in practice. It's really two components, Visio and the iServer repository, and there is no live-link between them, so the Visio diagrams can be out-of-date. Don't implement it, you should stick with Visio, as this is a solution that ends up having the worst of both worlds.