ITRS Geneos Review

The initial setup was a bit complex but the product is easily scalable.

Valuable Features

• Breach predictor
  • Compute Engine
  • Reporting
  • Dashboards

Improvements to My Organization

In many cases we are now able to correlate multiple events and take actions while considering a large number of criteria when we do. We can more reliably instruct the product to take action when a certain number of events happened in a certain sequence. This can be done even without setting hard thresholds, but looking at the data we collected in the past and the behaviour the system has on a daily basis.

Room for Improvement

• Active Console
  • Breach Predictor
  • Documentation
  • Data Storage

Use of Solution

I've used Geneos 2 for three years.

Deployment is simple and straight forward. The packages also include examples on how to start them.

In some past versions yes, but the issues were immediately fixed.

No. Planning the implementation of the product on the infrastructure keeps scalability issues away. The product is easily scalable.

Customer service delivered by ITRS is to the highest standards from all points of view. Highly responsive and quick acting.

Technical support delivered by ITRS is to the highest standards from all points of view. Highly responsive and quick acting.

Yes we did. Geneos is a highly configurable monitoring system with many built-in plug-ins and offers great functionality. All of this aside, the breach predictor was one of the selling points. The old product was missing many of the expected out of the box functionalities.

The initial setup was a bit complex. We use the product to monitor the Core trading infrastructures (OTC, CFD, Low Latency, etc.), which means many servers, many processes, many metrics. It was complex as in the beginning we were not completely aware of all the capabilities of the product and our infrastructure is close to 200 Servers and 150-200 unique process which are running multiple times. It was complex due to the very high complexity of our systems and the scale.

Implementation Team

Initial setup and delivery was done by ITRS and they were a highly professional and experienced team. Redesign and reimplementation was done in-house.

ROI

I can't say for sure as I don't know the contractual figures, but I suspect the ROI to be at least 100%.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Original setup was included in the purchase order. I can't say what the day-to-day costs are as I don't know the figures, but if we exclude the licenses, I would say about 10-25 Eur/day and still, this is a wild guess.

Other Solutions Considered

We did evaluate other options. One was Integrien Alive (bought by VMWare and non-existent anymore), Leutek ZIS, Quest Software Big Brother and IBM Tivoli (TEP).

Other Advice

Plan the implementation top to bottom before starting so you don't have to redesign it afterwards.

1. Get to know the product and the capabilities
  2. Decide what you need to monitor
  3. Implement it in steps, e.g. first core (hardware) and then application specific
1 visitor found this review helpful