ITRS Geneos Review

​The setup is complex, but it provides us with the ability to monitor much deeper than we previously could.

What is most valuable?

• Toolkits
  • Compute engine

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us with the ability to monitor much deeper into both our infrastructure and applications functional metrics. Deploying simple metrics was simple and we quickly covered the functionality provided by the product we were replacing. The result was a similar metrics monitored at a much better frequency, with a more stable product and a much better user interface. Also, we were able to deploy self-service role-based access by architecting the include files and authentication modules in an appropriate way. That enabled the application support teams to start getting involved in extending the baseline monitoring we had deployed and go much deeper into the monitoring of certain applications than was previously possible. Interfacing the product with our enterprise event management platform was relatively easy.

What needs improvement?

A few minor incremental improvements we have asked the vendor for would be nice. The main weakness of the product is poor historical logging and reporting. The main difficulty with the product is how to identify performance issues with complex rules or samplers. This is about to change with the new Insights module.

I've used it for three years.

Nothing major. Webserver module did not deploy successfully though

No issues encountered.

Performance can be a problem with complex or greedy rules and samplers.

9/10. Good service

10/10. Very committed, very helpful, very knowledgeable.

Our previous product had poor functionally and of poor quality.

The setup can be complex if the solution you are deploying is complex.

We used a mix of both in-house staff and vendor consultants, and they worked as a team.

What other advice do I have?

Know your functional requirement. Gradually build complex monitoring. Start simple.