ITRS Geneos Review

The ability to build integrations to tools that are not monitored out of the box is the most valuable feature. It's not great at doing historical reporting.

Improvements to My Organization

We use Geneos to monitor our own development and production environments. Due to its automation capabilities we are able to automatically restart failed processes and alert our developers to issues in our applications and infrastructure without traditional eyes on glass monitoring.

Valuable Features

Room for Improvement

At the moment Geneos is excellent and handling real time monitoring, however not great at doing historical reporting. This is required for post incident analysis and capacity planning. Various solutions have been developed by ITRS over the last few years, including major changes to the database logging features and the Open Access API. They have a new Product called Insights, based on their technology Valo, I’m keen to see this product used to bridge this gap.

We've experienced no issues with performance.

It can be difficult to gather data on large Geneos estates.

Excellent, certainly with their larger customers they are very involved with deployments giving advice and coming up with workable solutions. However, changes to the product (i.e. bug fixes and enhancement requests) do take a long time to materialise.

Out the box the product is not intuitive to set up, however there are a lot of resources online to mitigate this fact. However the users of the product have to be quite technical to get the best out of the product as they will have to understand the applications they are monitoring.

Implementation Team

My company provides consultancy on implementing Geneos, so we used an in-house team. The best thing to do with implementation is to divide common reusable functionality into include files so these include files can be shared amongst teams.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

At various places I have worked with have several licence deals in place with ITRS, you will get the best price if you get a single global deal.

Other Advice

If you have never implemented Geneos before I would greatly recommend their online training courses which are available free to users of the product. You can also get classroom based training courses if required.