ITRS Geneos Review

It helped us understand how the system behaves when issues are imminent, leading to proactive prevention. Backward compatibility with deprecated features can be improved.

How has it helped my organization?

We have automated some manual system checking processes.

We have monitoring tools that allow us to view individual systems health and issues on its own.

Geneos gives us visibility on all of our systems at once and we can build dashboard views to monitor transactions moving from one system to another. This has greatly assisted with troubleshooting and helped us understand how the system behaves when issues are imminent leading to proactive prevention.

What is most valuable?

• Custom script toolkits
  • Data aggregation
  • Alerting rules to emails
  • System APIs

What needs improvement?

Backward compatibility with deprecated features and in system documentation on what configuration areas are needed to be updated: There is a bit of this in place already, but it can be improved.

I've been trying to update to version 3.5 but the gateway will not start up because my configuration contains deprecated features. The error logs are not very helpful and I've been using a tedious trial-and-error process to find out which part of my configuration is disagreeing with the new version.

I could start with a lower version and then work my way up but that would mean upgrading over 50 servers multiple times which is something I'm trying to avoid.

Technical support is great. They have an online ticketing system for support. I find them quite responsive any time of the day.

This was the first product I used, so I do not have a comparison.

The initial setup was done by the ITRS consultants. They designed a fully customized solution for our system. The basic out-of-the-box monitoring is quite straightforward. The custom solution involved uniquely written scripts to read our application log files.

We started with the vendor team, and then they handed over to me and I became the in-house team. A tip would be to have a dedicated team and give them time to play around with the program. Try all of the features and settings and ask a lot of questions. Geneos has a lot of features and it grows very quickly. Geneos is very flexible. Be sure your Geneos team has a balanced skillset; creative skills as well as technical.

I don't have the figures unfortunately. But the ROI has been growing slowly. We do have a number of other tools and our systems are quite big and complex. I've also met some resistance in the adoption of another monitoring tool from the users. Expect a slow start on ROI with Geneos. In my case, it is finally gaining popularity after catching a number of critical issues that their other monitor tools missed.

What other advice do I have?

It's a lot of work to get started but worth it.