Ivanti Patch for Endpoints Review

Helps us detect vulnerabilities; provides clear visibility, suitable for small to medium size companies

What is our primary use case?

We were looking for a central console to manage our endpoint, especially for patch management and the service after deployment. We already had security so overall our challenge was that the initial patch management interval deployment was a manual process and that was a struggle. I was employed to execute and implement the solution for the entire organization which has around 1,300 people. We are customers of Ivanti and I'm an information technology consultant.

What is most valuable?

Because of the internet gateway, we were able to get clear visibility regarding the status of the endpoint which we needed to do recently when everyone was working from home. Reporting and management is via the central console which gets its information from the cloud gateway.

What needs improvement?

I'm currently struggling with one of the issues related to Linux or Ubuntu. Unfortunately, half of my servers are Ubuntu development servers. Ivanti does not support Ubuntu and it has a limitation of CentOS to a specific version, which is CentOS 7, not 8. The second challenge is that I cannot configure a rule-based management that would enable me to assign rules to different levels in the IT organization itself; releasing and management of these patches. That rule-based management is missing. I'm learning a lot along the way but these are the two issues I'm facing now.

I also had a COVID-related issue where employees working from home were not able to get updates unless they could get a VPN connection and that's something that could be changed.

I've been using this solution for six months.

I think the stability of this solution is good.

I think the scalability is good. It's sufficient for my requirements and I can easily add more machines. We hope to expand at some point but it all depends on how the business will grow. I'm just going for 1,300 licenses for now and expanding to my Windows servers.

I only used the technical support during the implementation process and setup, and they were good. We still have a couple of issues connected to Ubuntu that I'm waiting for them to get back to us about which required assistance from their development team. I was surprised that this is something that every administrator can ask for. Where there are gaps, the response is quite slow but for overall trouble shooting, they are good.

What other advice do I have?

From my experience to date, this is a lightweight solution if you compare it to a product such as SCCM which is a big tool. For a small to mid-size organization that might not have the funds to go for the expensive software licensing, this is a good, cost effective solution.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud