Ivanti Patch for Windows Review

Easy to use, robust, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller of this technology and not end-users.

Our clients use it to for automatically patching their software.

What is most valuable?

This is an extremely robust product. It now has almost 20 years of history.

It is very easy to use, as well as extremely efficient and accurate. Most of our customers just set it and forget it. They install it, and it does all of the automatic patching, month after month.

What needs improvement?

Customers sometimes ask about non-existent features, and we pass these requests on to Ivanti.

I have worked with Ivanti since 2004.

I have never had negative feedback from a customer about something that didn't work.

When there has been feedback, it is about the patches themselves. This is a patching product that grabs available patches for a given application. For example, if an application from Adobe has a problem in the patch then it might manifest itself. However, that is the result of the patch and not the patching solution that was at fault.

Scalability has not been an issue. We have clients with as few as five systems and clients with as many as 30,000.

Occasionally, we have to use technical support. We don't normally have problems but sometimes customers will ask about non-existing features and want to know if there is a workaround available. This is typically when we reach out to them. In our experience, they have been pretty good.

We have had experience with our clients using similar products like BigFix and the SolarWinds Patch Manager. We assisted them in switching to Ivanti because their previous solution was too cumbersome or too complicated.

There have been other solutions from vendors such as Kaspersky and IBM, as well. We stay focused on Ivanti because we are confident in the product.

The initial setup is very straightforward and it takes just minutes to deploy.

There are two versions of this product available. One of them is complete and standalone, which comes with its own patching engine and does the scanning from a selected workstation. The other version taps into Microsoft SCCM, so you have to have the SCCM process running, and then it will just augment it with third-party applications.

The one that works with SCCM takes perhaps 15 to 20 minutes to deploy, whereas the standalone product takes about ten minutes longer.

Most of our customers take this product "as is" and install it themselves. Our after-sales support is minimal because they usually know how to use it.

The price depends on which version is being licensed. For the one that works with SCCM, it is relatively inexpensive at $8 USD per node, yearly. The standalone product has two versions; the one that patches servers is about $45 USD annually and the version that patches workstations is about half that price at $22 USD.

There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees. It is a term-based license that includes support for one, two, or three years at a time.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that we have been selling for 16 years and I recommend it with no hesitation.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

More Ivanti Patch for Windows reviews from users