Jamf Pro Review

Self-service feature provides users with the ability to install software and run scripts that typically require administrator intervention

What is our primary use case?

We offer software to users via self-service and push applications out for major security releases when needed. We also use it to block software from running.

Aside from software distribution we also use it for management of security settings and monitoring of systems for security compliance.

How has it helped my organization?

Without Jamf we wouldn't be able to manage the systems at all. I have looked at many other solutions over the years. I have been a Mac admin, and Jamf provides the only complete solution for managing Macs at large and small scale.

Currently, only a small team manages over 500 Macs with plans for growth over the next two years. In the past, I have managed over 2000 devices with only two administrators. This wouldn't be possible without Jamf Pro.

What is most valuable?

Self-service is invaluable to our organization; it provides users with the ability to install the software and run scripts that typically require administrator intervention.

Extension attributes are key for compliance monitoring and overall client health statistics. The ability to get any information from machines via a script is so useful.

Smart groups are important for all of the above and much more; it's so easy to scope items to systems if you know how to create the groups. All of the above are probably the most powerful and useful features of Jamf Pro.

What needs improvement?

• Patch management is lacking greatly; more options are needed in order for us to consider using it at all.
  • An overhaul of how configuration profiles are needed, there are too many issues associated with the current mechanism.
  • I would also say that configuration profile payloads need updating to remove old ones and add new ones.
  • I would love to see any update on Jamf admin; it's very much in need.

More than five years.