JBoss Review

It seems to be a well-rounded application server that supports scalability and is easy to set-up and to deploy.

Valuable Features:

I have seen a few implementations where the JBoss application server is used. Initially, the applications were hosted on licensed servers like IBM WebSphere and BEA WebLogic. But, due to the license cost, we advised our client to shift to an open source application server. With open source, we had a choice of going with Apache Tomcat and JBoss. We chose JBoss as it's far more scalable, secure and comes with support from the vendor.

The server supports Windows as well as Linux OS, which is an added advantage. JBoss seems to be a well-rounded application server in the market which supports scalability and is easy to set-up and to deploy.

Improvements to My Organization:

Compared to IBM and BEA, JBoss provides the best support in the virtualized environment, and it also comes with multiple configurations which help in easy roll-out of the applications.

Deployment Issues:

The application deployment sometimes can be a tedious task if you are a novice.

Previous Solutions:

The earlier application servers - IBM/BEA - had a very huge license cost. Moreover, the cost went up as we wanted to scale the application for more users.

Also, the application servers comes with poor support in virtualized environment.