JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Review

We have multiple business segments and it allows us to integrate modules across those segments.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature would be the fact that it is a ERP system that has all of its modules fully integrated without the use of middleware. We use the manufacturing modules extremely heavily.

Improvements to My Organization

We have multiple business segments and JD Edwards allows us to integrate modules across those segments. It gives us a seamless communication process, if you will. It's been a choice of management that we use single-source JD Edwards. We try not to go find best-of-breeds, but if it's in JD Edwards, use it.

Room for Improvement

This is an interesting question because they've been making improvements continuously over the last 25 years. That's one of the things that has caused JD Edwards to sustain itself. Where they might be able to make added improvements are probably in specialized features. If you have something that is a specialized industry use, then focus more on that. Just like this last year, the Oil & Gas SIG got together and they said, "Well, people who do downhole drilling, they do rental tools. They actually need a module that would enable them to be able to rent assets." So the SIG put together a proposal to Oracle for a developed rental tools module. Oracle heard them and they actually took it and they put it together, so in release 9.1, there is a petroleum-based rental tool module.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for 28 years. I started on 34 and I was using JD Edwards, so I've been through 34, 36, 38, AS/400, Windows Platform.

We had the normal amount of bugs that you'd have when you roll something out. They have a fairly good change management process and a process for being able to roll out bug fixes. We get constant notification for things that are done that will make improvements. They are all taken advantage of, if we so choose.

They've been continuously improving the stability over the last 25 years.

We own all licenses for our SIG-code industry. Everything that has to do with oil & gas and chemicals, we own all the modules. We've expanded to the point where we've bought everything. We're able to scale without any issue.

Technical support is very good.

JD Edwards is a configurable software solution. They provide you with the ability to be able to configure the software so that you can run your business in the manner that you choose. It could be summarized to say, "You don't have to change the way you run your business to run with the software. It's the opposite. The software wraps around your business." It's as complex or as straightforward as you make it.

Other Advice

Make sure you get reference checks. Check with other companies that are using the software in the manner in which you would like to use it for. What were their pitfalls? What are their successes? How well has it resounded, once it's been implemented for two years, five years? A lot of software works well the first go around, but they fail after that, so you want to make sure.

1 Comment
Naveen ShettyReal UserLEADERBOARD

I certainly agree with the above comment . The software was developed keeping in mind the industry standards but still catering to the varying operational requirements across industries. Licensing factors was messed once Oracle took over bringing in lot of ambiguity and thereby deterring customers from adapting to the software.

05 January 18