JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Review

It allows remote access from a location away from where it's hosted and is more robust than our previous solution.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable feature for us is its robustness, especially coming from the system we had before because it can do so many more things. For example, we can drill down into the data a lot more. That's a huge advantage for us.

Improvements to My Organization:

I'm coming out of the Canadian office, and the overall system is hosted out of our US office, which is considerably larger. The Canadian office is a small operation, but we have a system that a company of our size should not be able to afford. We're getting a lot more toys, bells, whistles and stuff like that that we would not otherwise be able to afford. It's helped us tremendously that JD Edwards allows remote access from a location away from where it's hosted.

Room for Improvement:

It's got a steep learning curve. There's a lot of terminology, a lot of extra setup stuff that seems a little complicated and a little bit of extra work that doesn't always seem very necessary. For somebody who understands it a little better, they're going to know why all that extra work was there, but I'm not.

Deployment Issues:

There seemed to be screen after screen of data and attributes. I guess they all have a purpose, but we haven't found what that is because we don't necessarily mine the data or back any of it out. We just don't feel like it's worth the effort right now.

Stability Issues:

It's rock solid. We've had no issues with instability.

Scalability Issues:

It's been able to scale for our needs and we've had no issues with scaling.

Previous Solutions:

We were previously using Microsoft Dynamics GP and it was not as robust. It was a great place to put data into but a little hard to get data out of. It's much easier to get data out with JD Edwards.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup took about six to eight months, so it was accelerated. It was essentially all my time for about six or eight months, but it came in on time, on budget, etc., so obviously a lot of thanks to our US office for all their help in getting it done. They've used it for many, many years, so it was just adding a new branch into the software and getting us up to speed. It could have been complex, but because our US office was already using it, it was much simpler.

Other Advice:

It's forced us to adhere to business processes, where we were a little loose with our previous ERP. It's a little bit more rigid, and in my opinion, that's not a bad thing. It might seem scary at first, but it's not so bad. Not a lot of other advice to give, but it was a good project for us and it's helped our business. It's great from that perspective.