Jenkins Review

Open source community with many plugins although stability for all but the most popular plugins needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

Open source community with many plugins & flexibility as an automation platform.

How has it helped my organization?

Rather than send emails and tickets around we can hand out "buttons" to teams so they can do self-service for actions that used to involve manual effort from the Operations group.

What needs improvement?

Polish for the user interface, stability of plugins beyond the very most commonly used ones.

Over seven years.

No issues encountered.

No, although in some scenarios memory use can bloat over time.

Not directly, but because of our overcomplicated networking setup we had to spread over multiple Jenkins masters each with a set of nodes.

Open source version, but have occasionally asked a quick question in the IRC channel and sometimes get a clue or two.

We started with Bamboo, but it wasn't flexible enough (at the time) to also be used for general automation (code deployments, application restarts, etc). Really we might have just expected too much of it.

Easy. Drop in .war file, and restart the Tomcat server.

In-house.

Hard to say. Although it was free, so infinite.

Free. Takes some work hours of course, but those come back many fold in improved productivity through automation.

No, we picked a long time ago before there were a lot of alternative options on the market. The few others available were expensive. Jenkins (well, Hudson at the time) was free!

What other advice do I have?

Do it! There's really no way you can lose. Even if you decide Jenkins isn't for you then you only spent work hours that helped train your staff and create reusable scripts that can be applied in other tools just as well.

More Jenkins reviews from users