Jenkins Review

​This is a very good, powerful and flexible product, but requires a lot of time investment to get the maximum out of it.

What is most valuable?

The Jenkins Job DSL plug-in is the most valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to create CI jobs for each branch of our repository. Being able to test builds for each branch before it is merged to mainstream branch helped to improve stability of the app and have faster develop-test iterations.

What needs improvement?

The installation process could be simplified, especially on Mac OS X.

I've used it for eight months.

Yes because the installation process is not obvious.

The default settings do not work properly on Mac OS X. You have to tweak JVM parameters and allocate more heap memory as well as change other parameters to have a stable Jenkins server.

I haven't had to scale up yet. We have one build box which is running two agents on it.

As this is open source, there is no such thing as customer service, but there is a big community to look for information and get answers.

As this is open source, there is no such thing as tech support, but there is a big community to look for information and get answers.

Personally, I previously used Bamboo. I switched because I changed jobs and at my new place Jenkins had been used. It would unjustified to do a move from Jenkins to Bamboo, given that Jenkins is capable of performing same tasks.

It was complex and additional knowledge about launch agents and daemons is required. There are at least three, if not four, different ways to install and configure Jenkins, which is not always good.

We implemented it in-house.

It's high because the product is free.

The original setup. for us, was the cost of a new Mac Mini box which costs, from $1,000 to $2,000 depending on the configuration.

What other advice do I have?

1.612
More Jenkins reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Bamboo
Find out what your peers are saying about Jenkins, Atlassian, JetBrains and others in Build Automation. Updated: January 2021.
456,719 professionals have used our research since 2012.
4 Comments

author avatarit_user212703 (Software Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees)

Hi,

Since you have had experience with both Bamboo and Jenkins at this point, are there any comparisons of strengths/weaknesses of each that are worth pointing out?

author avatarit_user217035 (Senior iOS Developer at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees)

Hi,

It so happens I have a blog post just about Bamboo vs Jenkins comparison, though in regards to mobile apps development.

What are the policies around here? Can I post a link to my blog post?

author avatarAriel Lindenfeld
Community Manager

@Maksym - yes, please share the link!