Jenkins Review

Facilitates Continuous Integration with almost any systems used for app development

What is most valuable?

• Continuous Integration. Jenkins can integrate with almost any systems used for application development and testing, with its plugins.
  • It is open source and can be hosted on-premise.
  • Because of its wide usage and support forums, one can easily find solutions to any issues they might face.

How has it helped my organization?

Jenkins has helped make teams more independent. For example, if a developer wants to check if the changes they are working on have any performance impact on their application, they would typically ask the performance engineer to do load tests before and after the change. This might be difficult to accomplish every time, based on the performance engineer's bandwidth. But with help of Jenkins, the performance engineer can create a job, one time, which the developer or anyone else can run anytime, as per their requirement.

What needs improvement?

Upgrading and maintaining plugins can be painful, as sometimes upgrading a plugin can break functionality of another plugin that a job is dependent on.

No issues.

No issues.

Excellent.

No previous solution.

The initial setup is straightforward. It can be easily downloaded and installed from the Jenkins website. New plugins can also be added easily, based on the requirement.

Jenkins is open source.

We explored other open source CI tools like Travis CI and CircleCI.

What other advice do I have?

Jenkins is a great tool for continuous integration. It has a wide variety of plugins to support anything from development to automation, performance testing, security testing, and many more. It also has the best support and documentation. If one is ready to spend dedicated resources on proper access control and plugin management, Jenkins can easily be the tool of choice for CI.