Jenkins Review

Useful for us to collect and manage automatic processing pipelines

What is our primary use case?

Jenkins is part of our test infrastructure. We organize the test execution mainly of our performance tests, based on JMeter.

Second, the deployment of release candidates in our test infrastructure is managed using Jenkins.

In the future, we want to use Jenkins more in the field of continuous integration and continuous deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

For test automation, Jenkins seems to be our main and central solution at the moment. We want to extend this in the future towards Jenkins pipelines, which can be very useful for having a more dynamic test infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

Currently, using Jenkins for automatic testing is the most valuable feature for us.

It is very useful for us to be able to collect and manage automatic processing pipelines.

What needs improvement?

We have issues with the following points:

• The usability and user interface could be improved.
  • Clearer feedback for problems and errors would be useful.
  • The learning curve is quite steep at the moment.
  • Our security policy does not allow normal users to introduce additional modules. A simpler way of extending the basic functionality would be nice.

One year.

When there is enough disk space and RAM, the solution is stable.

Scalability is not an issue for us.

There is a large open source community where you can find a lot of workarounds and solutions when you have a problem.

We did not use another solution previously.

The setup is straightforward.

Our in-house SysOps team managed to install Jenkins.

Jenkins is open source and free.

We also evaluated Bamboo but decided to go with Jenkins because it is open source and free.

What other advice do I have?

We recommend having the proper infrastructure, and to ensure the maintenance of the server is performed.