JetBrains IDEs Review

Good support for refactoring, intuitive usage, easy debugging, and has many shortcuts

What is our primary use case?

It enables us to develop a software that takes configuration Information for services, for servers, for Access Rights, and then generates all IBM MQSC scripts, all documentation (used within SharePoint), and provides a test framework to smoke test all services and queues on proper configuration.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, I used Eclipse. On the recommendation of a colleague, I tried the community edition of IntelliJ 2017. Quickly afterward, I switched to the Ultimate Version. I feel that developing software with IntelliJ is slightly better than Eclipse. With Eclipse, I - from time to time - needed to set up my workspace again; never happened in IntelliJ.

What is most valuable?

• Fast, and I never had a crash. (Had this in former versions of Eclipse, before I switched).
  • Good support for refactoring.
  • Good Integration with maven.
  • Autocomplete is fine.
  • Intuitive usage.
  • Easy debugging.
  • Many shortcuts.
  • Good productivity, at least for me.

What needs improvement?

• Smaller amount of plugins than within Eclipse; but still then: you get many.
  • Sometimes, plugins (from third parties) are not updated.
  • Needs a bigger amount of memory.
  • For some (good) features, you need to buy the Ultimate Version (for me personally, it was worth the money for myself)

I have been using JetBrains for three years.

More JetBrains IDEs reviews from users