Jiffy.ai Automate Review

Saves significantly on manpower, but the UX needs improvement, as designing workflows is not straightforward

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use Jiffy.ai in finance, for accounts payable, accounts receivable, for scanning invoices, and fetching invoices from the suppliers' websites.

The new division I'm in, which is a non-finance division, requires some automation as well. We are an engineering division, and the RPA team is starting to look into the non-finance processes. In our division, the processes are along the lines of document scanning and organization of those documents. We need to scan documents and identify the document types and put them in the right folder. It's a very manual, labor-intensive job that we are doing now.

But so far, it is mostly used in finance processes.

How has it helped my organization?

We have definitely seen savings in terms of manpower, especially in the finance processes, which are very labor-intensive and repetitive. Since the automation was implemented, they have been able to reduce the workforce by quite a number.

On a normal basis, a person has to process, say, 100 pages of invoices, but with automation, all that he or she needs to do is manage the exceptions and the errors. He can use the remaining time to do something else that is more valuable.

It also helps to reduce errors. By taking the human out of the equation, we can definitely increase accuracy. This was one of our goals with automation.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the computer vision or OCR. That has a lot of use cases in real life. A lot of man hours can be saved, as we've seen in the finance processes and also in my future use cases. The feedback I have gotten from the team is that the OCR is quite powerful. I'm really looking forward to that.

For the finance processes, from what I know, Jiffy integrated quite well with the Oracle system. Most of the finance requests have been taken care of. It handled the integration pretty well.

What needs improvement?

The UI or the UX has room for improvement. The approach for designing the workflow is not that straightforward. It's quite difficult.

Also, when it comes to a Knowledge Base or training, there aren't many resources online that developers can refer to, unlike the competitors. There's no forum and there aren't too many YouTube videos or that sort of thing. There is also no free trial.

I was involved in the RFP and the PoC stages of looking for the right solution for RPA. The process started more than a year ago. It took us quite a while, more than a year, actually, to make a decision. There were a few factors involved. One of them was because of our budget. We didn't really have a budget at the time, but we do have a requirement to source for a suitable RPA solution.

I was involved a little bit during the initial stage, and then I changed my role and joined another department. Since then, I haven't used Jiffy. When I was involved with Jiffy, I was more a project manager. I wasn't really involved hands-on, but I did go through training that they did during the setup and the onboarding process.

Ultimately, we implemented it about six months ago.

There's a trade-off. One of the reasons we ended up with Jiffy is that the cost is really low compared to the rest, but in exchange you get what you pay for. To be fair, the people involved with it are not really familiar with the system, because it's quite new. But I've heard quite a few complaints about the usability and stability of Jiffy. Sometimes the bot will just not run for some unknown reason. In those cases, there's no documentation or forum where we can discuss issues. I wouldn't say it's running smoothly all the time. There have been a few issues along the way.

If they manage to resolve all the nitty-gritty small issues, then the scalability is not an issue.

Our finance processes are not small, they are quite huge in terms of volume, and Jiffy has handled that quite well.

One thing that they are very good at is customer support. I still have a good working relationship with the top management of Jiffy and their sales team, even though I'm no longer part of their project. We still keep in contact every once in a while, just to check on the progress and catch up. In that sense, they are really good.

Jiffy is our first RPA solution. That's what we took a while to make a decision, because we are not really familiar with all the concepts.

One of the reasons we chose Jiffy is that they are quite new, so they're easier to work with. That is what we are experiencing now. The customer support is really good. They are willing to adapt to whatever we need.

Product-wise, I think there are superior products on the market, but that comes with a price as well. We wanted to start small. Also, the promise of it running on Chromebook, which turns out not to be true, was a factor in our choice, so we feel quite disappointed about that.

We deployed Jiffy on a Windows Server, running on Google cloud, because the bots, in some processes, have to be running on a 24-hour basis. That's why we needed it to be installed on a server. But in some cases we are running it locally on the laptop, for some basic automations.

We are still very much depending on Jiffy. The agreement that we have is that they will help us to automate 10 initial processes while we are building up our in-house capabilities among our developers. It's quite difficult to find Jiffy-specific talent out there, because it's new. To hire a new developer, we need to train them.

We have two power users of Jiffy in our company, and we have one or two business analysts, while the rest are normal business users. Our team is very small and that is why we are very much dependent on Jiffy at the moment.

We ran a few use cases for the common RPA vendors, like UiPath, Automation Anywhere, and Blue Prism. Jiffy came in at the very last-minute. We did run a trial using the system, but one of the issues that we had was that Jiffy didn't really have a free trial account that we could use. They did manage to give us a few trials in a sandbox environment, but it was not straightforward like the other RPA vendors where you can download a trial version and run it on your PC. After we requested quite a bit that we needed some sort of sandbox environment for us to try it on, the Jiffy team allowed us to use it in a limited way. It was not as straightforward as the other players.

One of the reasons we picked Jiffy was that they promised us that it is completely a SaaS solution. Our company is running 100 percent on Chromebooks. We are a Google G-Suite customer and we don't have any Windows machines running. Most of the top RPA software didn't run on Chromebooks at that time. When we met Jiffy, this was the first thing that we were promised, but during the onboarding process we found that that was not the case and that it still runs on a remote desktop Windows machine. To me, it wasn't really a full SaaS solution. It still had to be installed on a Windows Server, accessible from the remote desktop application.

What other advice do I have?

I haven't seen fully deployed, end-to-end processes, because I wasn't really involved in the automation of the finance processes, but from what I've heard, it can be done. The development part takes a while because of the complexity. The creation of a bot or a process is not that straightforward. The workflow setup is quite complex. The methodology, compared to the other RPAs, is more like a flow chart kind of thing. They have used a different methodology. It's not so much a question of whether Jiffy can do it, but more of a question of whether the developers can do it.

In theory, because Jiffy combines RPA, machine learning, workflow, intelligent document processing, analytics, and human intervention features, you can automate without having to integrate with third-party platforms, but we still have to test that. We still need to test whether Jiffy can solidly integrate. RPA is more for front-end automation. In theory, it can work with any system, as long as the UI is clear. As long as a human can click the buttons it can be done.

As an agent of change, because I'm doing digital transformation now in my role, I'm always looking for end-to-end transformation, not just some of the processes within the larger process. The Jiffy approach is good, although it's not unique to Jiffy. The system is very much capable. It's just a matter of how people design and implement it.

Overall, it's a good application to start your RPA journey with. If cost is of concern, then start with Jiffy. If cost is not your main concern there are a few premium products out there, but they come with a huge price tag. They're easier to learn and to use. There are a lot of resources out there. You can easily find developers out there who have experience with UiPath or Automation Anywhere. But if you want to start small, and you have a very small budget, and you are expecting very good customer support, then Jiffy is the one. Their future is bright. They just need to improve a few things along the way.

More Jiffy.ai Automate reviews from users
...who compared it with Automation Anywhere (AA)
Learn what your peers think about Jiffy.ai Automate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.