JIRA Portfolio Review

Managing cards as a Kanban is very easy

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to establish agile teams and Release Mgmnt process. Jira was implemented, and also Portfolio but each team manages the app as they wanted. The tool is very open, which leads to a lot of error, confusion, and end problems. Then we set up a rule to manage it, based on best practices but if someone made an error therewas no way to avoid it. It is important to have a clear methodology from the company prior to start to use a tool like Jira.

How has it helped my organization?

It was very easy to load tasks, assign responsibility, due dates, etc. Also, it is easy to make follow-ups. The problem is that there is not a log to track how many times the same issue was created or how many times the issue changed the due date. This is a problem when you want to improve the way of work of your team.

Additionally, with Jira Portfolio, we had the possibility to track all the projects in the old way with some gannets but you need to be very careful with the filters. One wrong filter and the data is totally invalid

What is most valuable?

The way to manage cards as a Kanban is really easy but when you need to track hundreds of projects, you need to be very clear in which way the things must be completed. The versioning for coding the developments for me should be more restrictive. It must be set up in an alphanumeric and unique code for new developments, new functionalities, correctives, and evolutions.

There should be two ways at least to distinguish what is a technical task that will be used for Release (meaning to be deployed into production environments).

What needs improvement?

Some "help" on each tab should be included in the tool, for those people who do not have previous experience with it like how to filter part of the portfolio or project, how to easily set the versioning based on Release management best practices, and in my opinion, nobody should delete a task inside the team. There should be a log to track all movements of cards, any change on dates, due dates, responsibilities, etc.

Another thing could be to have an easy way to manage the Portfolio and have more ways to share and to show graphics and reports

We have been using JIRA Portfolio for nine months.

More JIRA Portfolio reviews from users