JIRA Portfolio Review

We no longer have to reconcile data or deal with differences in multiple sources

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is issue tracking and planning.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has helped our organization by allowing us to stop using Excel. We now have one team source as a centralized database. We no longer have to reconcile data or deal with differences in multiple sources.

What is most valuable?

The best feature for us is that it is a centralized database. Everyone has access to it. It is a single source of tools. We no longer have to clumsily copy and reconcile Excel spreadsheets.

What needs improvement?

Generally, I'm a happy customer when it comes to this product. The product's speed could be improved. However, there is really no software that can ever be fast enough. I would like to see more flexible reporting and the ability to customize reports. If the pricing could be reconsidered by the company, that would be helpful to all users and organizations using the product.

On a scale of one to ten, one being the worst and ten being the best, I would rate JIRA Portfolio as an eight. That is based on German skepticism. To be a ten is not even being a silver bullet, it's being a gold bullet. Very rare if it even exists. The only product I use that is a ten is TeX (or LaTeX). It is public domain software, 30 years old, absolutely stable, it never crashes, it uses a minimum amount of resources because it has no GUI. That is as close to perfect as a product can be.

We have been working with this solution for about twelve years

The product is very stable.

The potential for scaling the product is really good. The only real limitation is the pricing. The more you want to use, the more you have to pay, and the price increases over time.

We now have more than a thousand people in IT. Our company is around 130,000 people.

Personally, I have never had any problems with the product so I am not familiar with the technical support.

We previously used Excel, which is not a solution. We were a new company at the time and it was easy enough to manage through Excel. When our needs grew and it was impossible to use Excel, we changed to JIRA as a robust solution which we could use globally in our company.

The IT department in our company did the installation and set the database up for us so I had no real involvement in the setup.

We did not use consultants or a vendor team. We have a large in-house IT staff that did the deployment.

JIRA was inexpensive in the beginning when we first took the solution on. After we bought it, the prices went up. Scaling it as our company grew was a little like making purchases from a drug dealer: once you are hooked you pay whatever you have to. Atlassian is not the only company to raise their prices over time, so it is understandable. But it is much more expensive for us now.

What other advice do I have?

I like JIRA portfolio the most out of any tool I use for my job. It is my most favorite tool. It was easy to get used to using it and I highly recommend it. Personally, I say: use it. Go for it. Don't bother using other tools.

Realistically, it is good to look at the other options in the marketplace. There are many companies around offering add-ons, plug-ins, and applications that are quite good.

The biggest lesson I have learned in using JIRA is that you should not start with Excel. It is a good idea to evaluate your business plan and look forward to growth by choosing the right solution.