JIRA Portfolio Review

Enables us to track the live status of all the flows on one page and get a single view of our progress

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this program as backlog management and also to model service tickets.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization by allowing us to create our own customization. We can track the live status of all the flows on one page and get a single view of our progress.

What is most valuable?

The workflow configurations of this solution is what I value most.

What needs improvement?

I would say that there's a lot of reporting on the dashboard so something that can be improved is the project level visibility because it is a little unclear. Especially when you compare it to JIRA Central.

I've been using this solution for around five years now on private cloud.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability of this program is good but it can be improved.

I would say their support center is good and I would rate it a 3.5 out of 5. Every product has some pluses or minuses. So it takes a little time for things to get fixed and we always submit feedback and ask for improvements. Every product has its own backlog where we submit our request so that it gets prioritized properly. They build the product requirements based on the number of requests coming from a different client so I understand that sometimes it gets delayed.

We currently use three solutions simultaneously, namely JIRA and Octane.

The initial setup was straightforward, but it is evolving towards complex now because there are many flows and many different projects. Reporting has to be done across all these projects. We use different tools for deployment.

What other advice do I have?

JIRA is a very flexible solution, so if you are a mid or small-sized team, it is very useful for the team. When you have a higher scale of work, I would say the portfolio management and the reporting need to improve. You either have to build your own solution on the APIs or you have to manage how you can configure in the current flows. My rating out of ten will be seven or eight.

In the next version, I would like to see better reporting and safer plugins, as well as easier scalability.