JIRA Portfolio Review

Makes it easy to collaborate but needs better integration with other tools

What is our primary use case?

I work in hybrid technologies. Right now I work in service management. Our software disc space uses JIRA Portfolio. I've got a DevOps team and a team that works with operations. There are different elements within service management that we use JIRA to build team plans.

What is most valuable?

The number one feature is that the product makes it easier to collaborate. I think that is the most important point even though it is not perfect. Another point is that the interface is not exactly rocket science and it is fairly easy to learn. It is very much driven towards use like Microsoft or any of the other core applications available. For project and portfolio management and in terms of incident management — things like that — it is not that complex. To rate it on a scale of one to five as to what it needs to do in this category, I'd give it a four-out-of-five.

It is easy to get help from the community. So that is also a bonus. But that is like the situation with most software now.

What needs improvement?

I think to improve the product they need to work on integration. I think what I call heterogeneous integration into other tools will be important. It would be nice to work with data modeling from any tool. From an enterprise reporting perspective, you definitely want to be able to take core data, put it into any sort of raw database and be able to manipulate it to get the information you are looking for. I think the reporting side is probably where JIRA is not the strongest product in my view. Needed improvements just boil down to an improved integration.

I know it is always going to be a challenge to add new features, but I think better integration around Microsoft or other core applications would help. I think big data warehousing is important. Enabling RPA for the benefits that can offer would help as well.

I have been working with the product for the last five years.

Stability is debatable because you are not doing a lot of batch management. It depends on your operating system. The benefit of using a cloud implementation is that in an on-prem solution you are always responsible for maintaining your own infrastructure, hardware, backups, doing maintenance — all of those components. But that is not really a major issue for stability.

If a product is a true enterprise product, then scalability should never be an issue. If you are not working with an enterprise then you are doing a cloud-based solution and it is definitely scalable as well.

There are probably teams of around 50 in our organization, mostly made up of end-users. Obviously we have admin people and we had OEM support. But the solution is scalable to meet our needs.

We have mostly been satisfied with our customer support experience. Customization is a bit tricky, so you have got to really understand what you are trying to achieve. Technical support was able to help us through some issues.

If I look at just on your ITSMs (IT Service Management) side, I've used ServiceNow. Also, HP Service Manager.

I do not think the initial setup was complex.

We got maintenance support from our vendor. It included time and material when we made the contract for support.

When considering the product solutions, I was looking for functionality comparisons between an SDM (Service Desk Management) BMC (Baseboard Management Controller) remedy. I'm sort of interested to understand what are the major benefits or differences between those two. I think that was really where I was trying to just get some help. I've got a team of about 169 people in the project and I was just trying to see where I could get information very quickly without having to go to the vendors. A lot of resources just house people with more questions than answers.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for collaboration, then I would definitely recommend the product. It is one of the easiest and not very expensive.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best. I would rate the products overall as a  seven. It could not get a ten. Seven leaves room for improvement.