Jira Review

Good scalability with great scrum boards with very good project transparency

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for project management purposes.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers up great transparency that makes it possible for everyone inside the departmental organization to see what's happening.

The prompt board really helped us out on projects. The scrum boards and the representation of the product backlog that helped us a lot as well. It's great for project management.

What needs improvement?

In general, although we use JIRA, we never really learned how to use it properly. The learning curve of the solution is high. It has a lot of power, and yet we don't understand its capabilities.

There needs to be more training modules and more emphasis from the company on proper training and product overviews so that users really understand its capabilities and can actually use the solution effectively.

I've been using the solution for nine years.

I do recall that there were a few times when servers went down, however, I don't really remember that much about why it happened. Usually, it got fixed very quickly. Largely, the usability was good.

In our organization, we had about 200 people using it and we didn't really have any problem with scalability.

Technical support is good, however, we haven't really used them on many occasions. We never have really dug into the solution to understand it, and therefore we didn't really need the help of technical support to walk us through anything.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have any type of professional relationship with Jira. We aren't integrators or resellers.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. I'd rate it higher, however, if the solution wasn't quite so dense and complex. It would be helpful if there were training modules to help teams and users better utilize the full solution. As of right now, we've never really mastered the solution to its full capacity. I'm sure the solution has much more to offer, however, we have only really dug into some basic features. Our organization doesn't really emphasize the usage of the system.

I'd recommend those considering using the solution to really get some training before they begin and to maybe try doing some pilot projects to test its capabilities. Jira, as is my understanding, does offer a free trial, and new users would benefit from taking advantage of that.

More Jira reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Microsoft Project
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.