Jira Review

Enables us to do capacity planning but reporting and JQL create issues

What is our primary use case?

We use it for capacity planning. We need to gauge and assess whatever is coming to our pipeline and then everything comes to the pipeline, appears as a pic, and then based on that, we create the story points and we take it from there. With that, I am able to create a kind of gauge, estimate, and forecast our capacity planning for the next two weeks. We use it to create peer reports.

What needs improvement?

A more organized hierarchy is important. Reporting and JQL create issues for me. They do not completely cover the reporting part that I need to report in terms of my capacity to plan. In the same token, there is no record at this very moment to provide me with one export with epics story points, tasks, or issues and their sub-tasks at the same time. So I have to do multiple exports to just create the sub-tasks and sub-tasks are not being reported. If I wanted to export this and recreate this in another platform like Azure DevOps, I would have a problem right now.

I have been using Jira for four months.

The support person I contacted was not skilled enough to provide me the answer so it's up in the air.I'm just doing multiple exports.

What other advice do I have?

Jira as it is, is a very nice tool. For capacity planning and resourcing, I think it is not built for this and we are trying to make use of it in that area.

I would rate Jira a seven out of ten.

More Jira reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Microsoft Project
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.