Jira Review

Helps us with product development, planning, and some hardware product development but the performance isn't so good

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for software for product development, planning, some hardware product development, and for some solutions and services. Other teams in our company use Jira for scheduling daily work and daily tasks and try to organize or manage products and projects.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of different plugins for Jira. Unfortunately, we did not test so many and the big pain point for us is the rigorous handling and the roadmap of Jira. We have a portfolio and structure plugin and we have our story map plugin in Jira. I am a scrum master and coach in my company. My colleagues aren't so educated on these plugins. So first we have to improve all knowledge with these plugins in Jira, to improve or efficiency in the roadmap and for these topics.

What needs improvement?

The performance is not so good sometimes. I know that fully depends on the implementation and the IT environment of Jira or the version of Jira installed. The performance is sometimes not so good. I would like to have a better response time from the Jira server. And it fully depends on the administration side of the Jira.

I have been using Jira for more than 10 years.

It's a very stable system.

My company has different locations in the world. We have maybe 1000 or 1500 people using this solution.

It is easy to scale and expand.

I am not a Jira administrator. So my feeling as a user of the Jira is that Jira is a very efficient, very good tool and a very stable tool from my perspective.

We haven't contacted tech support because the specialized team does it every time.

Everything is delegated to the team inside the company

We also used Mantis. I can't compare the two because Mantis was very different and that tool is very old. The function was very different in Jira. So when we switched from Mantis to Jira, it was a very big step.

We have a specialized team that did the installation and does upgrades.

What other advice do I have?

I prefer some different practices, like story mapping and inbox mapping or strategy planning. The story mapping is included in all Jira installation. It would be good to see some features for strategy and portfolio handling planning in Jira. I have used Aha! and this tool has a very good framework with a good toolset. The toolset for strategy planning, toolset for portfolio handling, toolset for product handling, and toolset for daily work handling is very good. I think the Aha! team did very good work. I know that this company is an American company and is a competitor for Jira and for some other tools. Unfortunately, I never heard about this tool before and don't know any other company using this tool, but the tool is very impressive. There are a lot of good features. It would be good to see something like that in Jira.

I would rate Jira a seven out of ten. I would give it a higher number if the features that I mentioned for the strategy planning would be included in the framework.

More Jira reviews from users