Jira Review

Stable with good documentation and needs very little maintenance

What is our primary use case?

I am the software developer manager and I use Jira to manage team performance. We're also starting to use Jira for our drives. I used Jira before, for creating user stories from boards, to discuss issues, and many other tasks. Today we use Jira, Confluence, and BitBucket in our work. We practice scrum in our organization.

What is most valuable?

The documentation is very good.

The solution is stable.

You can scale the solution easily.

It's comparable to Azure DevOps.

It's a very complete product overall.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if Jira had future functionalities to integrate more easily with various aspects of code reviews.

It would be nice if, in the future, Jira worked a bit more like Azure DevOps in order to be able to manage work in progress and have the task measurements in strategies for the stories.

In the future, I would like to have traceability features. For example, when you create a task or a sub-task that's related to code. In this task, if we could create a method for retrieve customer information, that would be helpful. In that case, I would want to train with the source code later.

I'm new to the company. Although I've worked with Jira before, I've only been at this company for one week.

Atlassian solutions for me are very good solutions. They are very interesting and very productive. As a user, it is necessary to have a unique portal to make traceability between sub-tasks related to code or programming. You can create and screen or implement a function or a class, related for example to the code that you are pushing in the repository or commit in the repository. If I open the sub-task, I will see the code related to the sub-task. It's very similar like Azure DevOps. Azure DevOps, however, has this functionality for traceability. This functionality will be amazing that Jira would implement something similar.

I prefer to use Azure DevOps instead of Jira for stability or the frequency of use. In my case, for example, I feel that more users, more companies don't think Azure DevOps makes a good choice due to the fact that the cost is higher than Jira.

The scalability is very good if you're carrying a lot of projects here, and if the company needs to have a lot of people to PEA development centers in Mexico. Our technicians can easily test the tool and scale it in order to develop projects.

We do plan to increase usage. We're already training more users. We're increasing quickly so that our teams will be ready for upcoming projects.

We have manuals, technical support, and also technical specialists in the company. I haven't had the opportunity to use directly call the technical support from Atlassian, however, the technical documentation that I have reviewed is excellent. We're satisfied with the level of service we have access to.

We also use Azure DevOps. They are both very similar. The main difference is Azure offers traceability.

The solution is easy to implement. We have the cloud version of Jira in the company, and we don't worry about maintenance, it's automatic.

The cost of Jira is okay. It's better than Azure DevOps. We don't have any licensing fees that I know of.

What other advice do I have?

While I'm new to the company, it's my understanding that it is a partner of Atlassian.

We use the latest version of the solution, as we use the cloud, which updates automatically.

Our company has both Azure DevOps and Jira. I use Jira, and Azure DevOps is used for other purposes. Most projects, all projects that are using Azure DevOps are legacy projects. The new projects and new solutions are using Jira.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate Jira at a ten. It's a very good product.

Both tools, Azure DevOps and Jira are at the same level. In terms of preference, I typically choose Azure DevOps for familiarity but not for features. For features, both are the same. For example, Jira has amazing features that Azure DevOps doesn't have, and also Azure DevOps has the flexibility that I like very much. Both tools have different interesting aspects. However, if Atlassian would implement traceability, I would prefer to use Atlassian. For me, it's more complete and allows for smaller teams than Azure DevOps.

More Jira reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Microsoft Project
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.