Jira Review

Flexible and scalable with good add-ons available

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira product in the organization to automate the software development life cycle.

What is most valuable?

It's a very flexible product.

We can change the workflows as much as we need and we've done that already.

The workflows are very easy to handle as far as scalability goes.

If there is a feature or a workflow feature, that is required and it's not available out of the box from Jira, from Atlassian, we have the marketplace buy from. There are a number of add-ons that we use. We have maybe 20 to 25 that fill in any gaps in the system itself.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is very detailed right now. It could be simplified if they consider targeting the user experience. Right now, on the screen pre-design, the amount of information on the screen is very high. The distribution is good, however, the presentation itself looks very technical. They should work to streamline the UI to make it better for users to digest the information.

I've been dealing with the solution for two years now.

The solution is very stable. We haven't had issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze on us. It's quite good.

The solution is scalable in terms of the number of users and the number of features. The features we are using are mostly out of the box, however, we have added product management features and code delivered with the integration features. We also have added test management tools or add-ons to it including reporting and dashboarding as well. You can really grow it out and add as many plug-in apps and features as you want.

Currently, we have 500 users that interact with Jira within our organization.

We have good internal technical support for Jira in the organization and we use the Atlassian technical support only when needed. Thus far, we are quite satisfied with the level of support we receive.

I cannot give too much information about the installation, as we're similar to a consultant, and I don't want to get into too many details. As the installation engine, we took two days straight to deploy it and that is with the implementation.

For deployment, you don't need a huge team. We did it with two technical personnel. They are consultant level system administrators.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Jira.

We're using the latest version minus one, due to the fact that it was installed year. That upgrade was last year and it is my understanding that there is another version coming up.

I'd recommend this solution to other companies.

The product is very scalable and it's very flexible to match any organization, however, the trick to using Jira effectively is that there should be a business process documented in place before using it straight. The mistake that many people do is they consider the tool as the base and they configure their processes according to this. If they work the other way around and have a great process between all cycles, and then implement that process on Jira, it's very beneficial.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

More Jira reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Microsoft Project
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.