Jira Review

Simple, extensible, and requires minimal training to get started

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use Jira software, including Jira Issue Manager, for bug tracking and project management, and have done so for over a decade. Then in the last six years we have also used Jira Agile in a lot of our project management work. We use the enterprise version of Jira.

What is most valuable?

There are a couple of things that I find valuable about Jira, the first being its architecture. For instance, I like that you can create dashboards easily, which makes it very user-friendly. You don't need much training on that. You can just get right to it and people are able to use almost all of Jira's features with little training.

The simplicity of Jira is the part that I like the most, as well as the way in which it can be extended. For example, I like that you can send data to and from Jira easily, and it integrates well with lots of third-party plugins.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, I think Jira (Jira Agile, specifically) can be made more user-friendly. Most of the time, when people are somewhat used to the process, they find it easy to work with. But the thing is, if I want to create a sprint, I'd like the ability for it to come out like a kind of board or something like that. For example, they could offer something like a wizard for users who want to quickly create a sprint on the spot with a few clicks. I think that could be useful.

When I first started using Jira and we were in the middle of coming up with a solution, I found that there could be better separation of tasks when it comes to user stories and epics. For example, right now we can take users and sub-task them, but the developer is not able to easily ask for or request a task as a separate thing to work on.

Other than that, I would definitely appreciate more kinds of features in general. But we have already requested these from Jira ourselves with their voting system. These requests are in their backlog now and we hope to see them in future soon.

We have been using Jira for more than ten years.

I feel it is quite stable, not least because it has been around for a long time. For the last few years, we have never see any issues from our location or any other location that our people use it from.

We have never had to use Jira's support as far as I know.

I wasn't fully involved in the initial enterprise setup of Jira, but I remember first trying out some of the plugins on my laptop and I found it all rather easy. And for the people in charge of the main setup, they were able to install it and set it up quite fast.

We are using the enterprise license which is nice because it ensures that we always have the latest versions of Jira software.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Jira for project management and similar uses, as well as other products from Atlassian like Bamboo.

Jira isn't what you would call a "coded solution" for scrum or anything like that, but it's able to do a lot of different things for people who are looking for that kind of thing. If you are looking for a custom-made solution specifically for agile or scrum, then you can go try other products like Valley or others. But if you want a good general-purpose project management system with solid integration solutions like Bamboo, then I think Jira is the product for you.

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

8.14
More Jira reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Microsoft Project
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.