Jira Review

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Jira is for requests for tracking the software development.

We use Jira for the process, especially for password tracking. We're the issue management team for development. We are quite new, so I was very interested in ITSM documentation provided by Jira. But, I needed time to readjust that to our organization as per the line of business.

Overall I think it's helpful, but I need some time to absorb all the knowledge.

How has it helped my organization?

People have different opinions about whether it has improved our organization. I think it is quite a valuable tool and platform to streamline tasks, make project plans, and manage the release events.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is good for tracking the issues and it provides for the usage of Confluence. The documentation is another supporting part for development. I didn't go that deep, so that's what I see as the end user.

In general, it's very convenient for people that work in the software development business.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, it is a bit harder for management or the business partners. I used to search the Atlassian Community online for some troubleshooting issues and I think there were some issues that seemed to not be a big problem for other similar applications, like Microsoft Teams, that were not considered by Jira.

So I hope those will be considered soon. I think for some, the help documentation has been hard to track, so that I had a bit of difficulty finding the solutions. I'm the end user. I'm not the problem solver.

I have been using Jira for less than a year.

It does have some bugs or glitches sometimes. Like with Confluence, it always has some glitches, like the last edits I made minutes ago. It happens sometimes.

I don't know about the scalability. I just use the very basic one.

Only our IT people are using it. It's easier for IT people to understand it than anyone else.

We have our technical support from our vendor. They are very supportive.

No, we didn't use another solution previously. We used to manage those processes manually, like the spreadsheet. That's why we would like to switch to the Atlassian platform for some automations and for a mature platform to help us.

We had our vendor help to set up originally. Later, we made some customizations by other means. But because this is still at a very early age for us, it's a bit random on previous customizations. There were some blockages for people to understand from different perspectives. But I think so far the business people may not understand those procedures because it was originally designed for the coders and for the software development business.

We are using the Community license for Jira since we are a not-for-profit organization.

What other advice do I have?

I think the technical support and the customization of the line of business are the most important points for me as a BA. I don't think the license for a business is low.

We think - so far so good.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Jira an eight out of 10.

Nothing is perfect.

More Jira reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Microsoft Project
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.