Jira Review

My deployment was expensive due to the complexities I implemented. Other deployments have been less expensive.

What is most valuable?

Workflow configuration (escalation, workflow chaining, conditions, validators, post-scripting, etc)

How has it helped my organization?

• Enforce role- and group-based permissions re: who can drag tickets, and when, on the agile boards.
  • Instill true SLA-based reporting and escalation to keep work moving seamlessly through the process flow.

What needs improvement?

• Workflow management
  • User permissions
  • Native reporting capabilities in workflow
  • Ticket status, etc

6 years

The forums and online documentation have been fine. I haven't needed to escalate beyond that.

At my previous company they used Assembla. I switched them to JIRA which is more open in its project sharing as well as far more configurable.

JIRA has been very simple to use, no issues.

I've always done the implementations myself.

As an enabler of process and procedures, JIRA's ROI can be measured in that regard. Because we treat it like a tool and not an end unto itself, I've never measured it separately just for JIRA.

Including all plugins in my last job, ~$15,000 and $7,000 annually thereafter. That was very plugin-centric, however, due to the complexities and user interface solutions I implemented. Other deployments have been less expensive.

Bugzilla and other bug tracking tools were on the docket. We ultimately chose JIRA because of its UI polish and wide range of configuration options. When JIRA added Greenhopper, now JIRA Agile, that made the choice very simple going forward.

What other advice do I have?

Read the online documentation, know what processes and procedures you wish to implement first, and keep it simple. Workflows can collapse under their own weight if they're overly complex for the sake of complexity, simply because "that's just the way things have always been done". Simplify simply simplify.

More Jira reviews from users
...who compared it with Rally Software
5 Comments

Hi Malik,

What sort of SLA are you looking to provide for development-centric projects? If more of a support focus, have you considered JIRA Service Desk, which has built-in SLA functionality? I'd give that a look to see if it meets your needs.

author avatarit_user147549 (Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees)

Hi Matt,

Some SLAs were response time surrounding customer support issues. For example, how long did it take before the team absorbed CS issues into their backlog and actioned an item for resolution? Others included things like the maximum allowable # of bugs in a release.

That said, I did look at Service Desk but the pricing model was abysmal. My understanding is that Atlassian has since made significant changes so if it were to come up again I'd look in that direction.

author avatarit_user192336 (Engineering Manager at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees) (Nuance Communications)

Hi Malik,

The pricing model is much better now - you pay per agent and (internal) collaborator on and all customers are free to use the Service Desk.

author avatarit_user204174 (Software Engineer)

Hello Malik ! What a small world :-)