JIRA Review

Very customizable and has a modular structure. Would be nice to be able to save drafts for issues.

What is most valuable?

• Great user interface - it is light and very user friendly
  • Web technologies - no need to install any local ("thick") clients on PC, just web browser
  • JIRA is very customizable and has a modular structure - this is very important, when an organization has often changing workflows
  • Powerful reporting and filtering systems
  • Time tracking and workloging
  • Fully customizable desktops

How has it helped my organization?

I advised my friend to introduce JIRA at his organization and I helped him with this. Here are some results after about two months:
  • Employees stopped to write on colourful stickers and leave its at their monitors
  • My friend and his manager can see what each employee is doing and find lazies
  • Each project participant began to think before writing (earlier someone could say something but after some days his/he worlds were forgotten, or he/she might say that he/she didn't say that, etc);
  • Employees started to plan their time and try to work faster and better
  • Customers of the organization now can create tickets and requests via JIRA, no phone calls, no email conversations. The result - most of requests from customers are processed faster.
  • A customer can see the time tracking of his tickets, so he can plan future requests and calculate current and future payments (and all that without phone calls).

What needs improvement?

There are some little bugs and features which need to be resolved, but they're not so critical. I think JIRA should have features like drafts of issues as Confluence has drafts of pages.

I've used Atlassian products for about 8 years.

Earlier versions of JIRA were more difficult to deploy, but current versions are deployed very easily. I have good knowledge of Linux, and I have never experienced difficulties with JIRA installations, even the early versions.

I used many other solutions before but my manager chose JIRA. I started using JIRA about 8 years ago and the choice was made by my manager as well. Now when I start my own project, the first thing I do is starting to configure JIRA to the project's requirements and after that I can start my project.

It was straightforward.

My first setup was just for 10 users with a license of $10.

I used many other solutions, but the most popular I used was RedMine, Lotus Notes, TaskFreak, and Bugzilla.

What other advice do I have?

The main thing you should think about before you start implementing JIRA is ask yourself - "What result do I want to get from the solution? What problems do I have? What problems do my employees have? You should dream about your ideal team of employees and you must make your dreams a reality, and JIRA will help you with it".