Jira Review

JIRA can be used as a Test Management tool but there are a few areas which need to be improved as compared with HP ALM.

What is most valuable?

As a Test Analyst my first requirement is to have a tool where I can create a repository for all my test activities like test cases, test execution, defects and reports. Zephyr is an add-on which provides facility to use JIRA as a test management tool. We can write test cases, add versions, create test cycles and execute cases. To make life easy JIRA comes with a dashboard where I can add different gadgets to generate reports on different criteria.

How has it helped my organization?

My organization uses Wiki and JIRA both for requirement gathering, but very few know the capability of JIRA as a test management solution. People in the past used to write and execute test cases in WIKI and also log the defects from there. This not only made it difficult to manage the test cases and defect, but also there are no reports which can be extracted out of it. It becomes very difficult to fetch efficiency in each test cycles. Also, we were not able to track test coverage because we couldn't link requirement with test cases in Wiki. But after JIRA provided us a feature to use it as test management we are managing all these very effectively.

What needs improvement?

Though JIRA can be used as a Test Management tool, it is not complete by itself. There are still a few niggles in it as compared to other products like HP ALM. We can export the reports in xls or pdf. Also whenever we fail any test steps, the test does not fail by itself, we need to manually select fail from status drop down. JIRA does not provide any lock feature for a test case if any person is working on that case. In fact, both people can assess the same case at the same time.

I've been using JIRA for the past 2 years.

I found JIRA to be a stable product and didn't have any issues with the response time as compared with HP ALM. Only a couple of times during last 2 years it was down for few hours.

I worked on HP QC 9 & 10 before JIRA. There were no issues with these tools to switch to JIRA, but the tool used fora project always depends on management, user benefits and cost involved in it.

More Jira reviews from users
...who compared it with Rally Software
6 Comments

author avatarit_user209856 (Testing Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees)

I agree! Jira is not a complete package at this point. Also integration with Automation & Perf testing tools is also missing. I am currently looking for ways to integrate Jira with ALM as some of our legacy business applications are heavily using Jira. Any recommendations on integrator between Jira & ALM?

author avatarit_user228018 (Development Specialist with 10,001+ employees)

The answer on Integration is Tasktop Sync. It is truly a leading product that integrates tools to create one effective ALM tool. Contact me on Paul.kaye@intelliqa.com and I will provide more information.

author avatarit_user3891 (Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees)
Top ReviewerVendor

@Krunal
I will assume that you are referring to HP ALM.

There are several ways to integrate it with Jira, including commercial ones such as TaskTop (https://tasktop.com/connectors/hp-alm-quality-center.php), Orasi (http://www.orasi.com/testing-solutions/Pages/JIRA_Bridge.aspx) and JAM (http://www.go2group.com/alm-solutions/atlassian-plugins/jira-plugins/jam-plugin/).

The JAM plugin would be the cheapest by far, running around $3K (it also offers free trial download). Both TaskTop and Orasi would be by order of magnitude more expensive (though, arguably, might provide richer functionality.)

NB: you could also create your own integration using published API(s); while I do not recommend it, it might help if you need a very limited functionality quickly, and have expertise in-house.

author avatarit_user229578 (COO with 51-200 employees)

JaM is a JIRA plugin, similar to Orasi's solution. Functionalities are similar. Price is not ;)

JaM has been deprecated for ConnectALL http://www.go2group.com/alm-solutions/connectall/

ConnectALL is an advanced, feature rich, next generation, ALM integration platform. ConnectALL is an order of magnitude less expensive than other solutions.

author avatarit_user136773 (Tech Lead at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees)

JIRA is not a Test management tool, it's a defect / Issue management tool

author avatarit_user226503 (Sr. Test Analyst at a insurance company with 51-200 employees)

@Sachin Well this can be true for JIRA, but ZEPHYR for JIRA is an Addon helps us to use JIRA as test management tool. We can create, plan, execute test from JIRA and also there are various other features. And also I never mentioned that JIRA is a test management tool but can be used as one.