JIRA Review
This tool has some good bug tracking features, but its filtering needs work.

Valuable Features

The features mentioned below were quite useful for me -

• Project tracking
  • Planning
  • Defect management
  • Code integration
  • Service Desk
  • Email notifications
  • Reporting

Improvements to My Organization

In my organization, we have so many diverse projects, that the flexibility to integrating JIRA with other tools has been a helpful feature. It has streamlined and channelled our project and test management activities. This has helped all my organization's departments as we now have a data-bank that means anyone can access the required information with a few mouse clicks; be it someone from sales, QA, developer, or management.

Room for Improvement

The only problem area for me is applying filters, and for new users it is very complicated work. I hope they can come up with a better filtering functionality, as this is one of the most basic, important and most widely used features by all categories of users.

Use of Solution

I have been using different versions of JIRA for the last three to four years.

It's very good.

It's very good.

We previously used Quality Center, but JIRA offers better value for money.

The initial setup was straightforward if you know the basics of installation.

Implementation Team

Through a vendor team and they were real experts in JIRA.

ROI

I can not give you details but the ROI is excellent.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

JIRA's pricing and licensing is the best in the market with the features a user gets.

Other Solutions Considered

• Quality Center
  • Mantis

Other Advice

This tool has some good bug tracking, issue tracking and project management features. One of the best feature is its integration with other tools which I love, but at the same time, it has some limitations as well.

This is a great product, but I always say before jumping into using it, go through the user guide. Also, if possible, look for some tutorial videos to get the full use of its functionalities.

1 Comment

Brett TaylorReseller

Hi,

To go beyond the functionality of JIRA's filters, you can make your own queries in JIRA (without going direct to the DB) or use other reporting tools.

There is a good product/tool from Jobin Kuruvilla of Go2Group. I think you can find it on his J-Tricks site.

07 July 15