JIRA Review
Great tool for issue/task tracking, customization workflow, and 3rd party software integrations.

Valuable Features

Customization of workflow is a key valuable feature. JIRA comes with a few default workflows, however you can create highly customized workflows depending on your needs.

Improvements to My Organization

Tracking more items in JIRA allows for more transparency of projects; centralized access to latest issues, risks, tasks, etc.

Room for Improvement

Improvements for Cloud version. One such item is available of nested user groups, which is available on server version. Managing a large number of users on Cloud version is extremely challenging due to lack of this capability. I wrote my own command line admin tool in order to manage users more easily.

Use of Solution

I have used it for two years and was the main admin also.

We used the Cloud version, due to external access needs. Cloud version deployment is just configuration.

With more users and more projects, administration becomes more difficult. Administration is very manual. Thus, I had to write my own command line tool to automate some of my administration.

Customer service is good. Response to support requests were fairly quick.

Technical support is good.

Initial setup is straightforward. A large user base and/or large number of projects requires more planning and strategy, so that you can re-use common workflows, rather than create new configurations for every project (think of abstraction is object-oriented programming).

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Pricing is based on the number of users. Cloud is cheaper, but choose in-house (server) version if you can, as it has more features and is more secure; overall very affordable.

Other Solutions Considered

We looked at RedMine (open source), but features were limited, and it is not very user friendly. Other options such as BaseCamp and Asana were not really comparable products, in my mind, even though they come up on many comparison websites.

Other Advice

JIRA is tool. As with any tool, it needs to be in the hands of the right person to be used effectively. The administrator and/or trainer in your company should be very competent with JIRA, as they will be leading the effort. JIRA is powerful, but what truly makes it a powerful tool is integration with other Atlassian packages and third-party software. JIRA should almost always be used in conjunction with Confluence. There are many integrations available such as GitHub and many other applications.

1 Comment

Joy Davidson, ScmReal UserTOP 20

You are right that Jira is a great workflow engine with the ability to highly configure workflows, boards, pre and post activities.

07 October 16