JIRA Review
We can cope with processes easily without adapting the tool, but adapting the tool to processes

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is task management. It has performed okay. It is easy to configure and maintain. It's quite simple to track tasks, then link with other applications/solutions from Atlassian, like source codes.

How has it helped my organization?

• Visibility
  • Avoids emails and exchanging information in an informal way.

I would rather have a tool that we do everything on. Also, we have access to end user policies where we can configure them and give access to the correct person. We have tracking of who works on what and why over the history of a project.

What is most valuable?

Workflows, because we cannot employ a different approach depending on the speed of the project or customer. Whether it's research, engineering, or maintaining the process, we can cope with processes easily without adapting the tool, but adapting the tool to processes.

What needs improvement?

There are no fields to search or to filter by, mainly the ones which use a data around a date and time when something changes. So, you have to use some add-ons and create a lot effort to obtain information from the tool. Thus, you have to adapt to the lack of search that the tool does not offer.

Three to five years.

So far, so good.

I don't see any problem with it.

In the past, I had training from the distributors and it was okay.

The tool is very easy to use. What is important is that we don't have to wait so much for contracts or more hours to have support. This is something that we have, and it is good for this solution.

Everywhere that I worked, we started by using spreadsheets, then we moved to some free tool, and finally to JIRA.

As far as I know, the initial setup was very simple and straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Understand your own process: What you are looking for, the size of your company, what your budget is, and the larger plans for the future. There are tools that scale better than others and there are solutions that fit to both small and big teams. There are tools which scale better for larger companies.

Most important criteria when evaluating a vendor:

• We evaluate the company's strategy.
  • If they bought an legacy solution to add to the portfolio or if they are developing from scratch.
  • What are their plans for the future?
  • What type of support do they have?
  • What is their business model?
  • Do they have domestic experience or not?
  • Are they focusing only on a few customers, and the size of those customers?