JIRA Review

Improves project management by providing greater overall visibility

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is work management and task management.

We use this product quite extensively, and we're planning to roll out a module for the Accounts Department to be able to map manpower costs to project work, directly. That is something that we're working on right now.

How has it helped my organization?

Based on the flexibility that it offers us, we can adapt to different projects with different cycles. Based on whatever cycle we are working on for a particular project, we can configure the solution to suit us. This helps us to manage the work, essentially in one place, and we have visibility of all projects that are going on in the company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the flexibility of the configuration, being able to configure it to suit your own needs.

What needs improvement?

The plugin management needs a lot of work. Sometimes you have issues with plugins and it stumps the vendors, as well as the Atlassian support.

I think that more extensive reporting would be very good because sometimes it is a hassle for us.

Approximately ten years.

It is pretty stable. I would give it a ninety-five.

In terms of stability, it is pretty impressive and I would give it ninety-five. We have not had any load issues.

We currently have between twenty-five and thirty users, whose roles range from Software Developer to Chief Executive Officer.

I would rate the solution's technical support an eight out of ten.

I have used a couple of solutions, but I have used this one for my entire career in working with different teams. I have had to integrate my own solution as well, but the majority of my work has been using this product.

I have worked with both the hosted application and the cloud version. For the cloud, the initial setup is very easy. You can do it in basically two minutes and you're out but for the server, the setup entails a lot more.

This is quite understandable because you're going to be managing it by yourself, onsite. For the Cloud, it's pretty straightforward, but if it's the server version then you need a lot more focus and experience to be able to configure it correctly.

The last time I installed a server instance we had to do it overnight and it took me between four and six hours.

The deployment was done in-house.

There is no maintenance required for the cloud version.

I would say that we have seen ROI with this solution. When we are looking for some sort of information, it just makes our lives much easier because we are able to do things without having to talk to anybody. You know exactly what is going on. It limits personal interaction but helps us to get our jobs done quickly.

Licensing is on a monthly basis, and it is based on what you use. There is a base cost and then as you include other items, the cost rises. Our last payment was perhaps $1600, which includes both user licenses and add-ons.

There are no additional costs beyond the licensing fees, and it covers support.

Before choosing this solution we evaluated SmartShift for work management, and we also tried Trello.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anyone who is implementing this solution is to ensure that your in-house processes are clear. Things have to be clear, as much as flexible, because if it is not correctly configured then it could just be a mess. So, you have to be very clear on what your processes are in-house, and then based on that you can translate them into Jira.

Knowing in advance what kind of information you're looking for from Jira will help you in being able to set it up correctly.