Jira Review

Helpful features, good flexibility, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

I am working on a project which involves moving Jira onto the Azure boards. We use Azure DevOps for our repository and pipelines and we are looking to move on to Azure boards from JIRA for our ticketing or change request management.

How has it helped my organization?

Jira has helped our company because the board layouts are easier to use and has helped us see what is happening in regards to stories and bugs.

What is most valuable?

The layout, workflow, automation, and metrics are helpful in Jira.

The flexibility of defining your columns that can possibly contain multiple statuses is important. When you have teams that are different levels of granularity, the C levels, only care that it is in progress, but the leads want to know that it is in QA or development. You can accomplish these types of things with JIRA.

What needs improvement?

The biggest complaint industry-wide about JIRA is they need to purchase additional extensions, such as reporting automation. If they could provide some additional extensions from the initial purchase it would be a huge benefit.

When using the service desk and the developer, the transition could be better between the two. For example, we asked the support desk to send a ticket over to the development and it was a little bit cumbersome. We had to recreate another ticket for development, then we had two tickets, one service desk, and one development. It would be beneficial if the process was more smooth between those two packages.

I have been using Jira for approximately eight years.

The stability of the cloud version of JIRA is very good. However, we did have some issues with the on-premise version but the issue could have been because our servers were overloaded.

The scalability has been very good.

We have approximately 40 people using this solution in my organization, which is mostly everyone. It is used by many departments, such as project offices, development, and coding QA. The only department that is not involved in the use of the solution is the company support. I had worked at a company previously that used the JIRA service desk for their support and it worked well.

I have previously used DevOps and Rally.

JIRA installation is complicated. It is similar to a lot of other systems, the more flexible they tend to be more complicated they become.

We do the maintenance of the solution which is adding users and moving them around. The solution is very hands-off, it does not require a lot of maintenance.

We currently are evaluating other options and are doing a study to see if we are going to continue using JIRA or move to something else.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those wanting to implement this solution to contact an expert.

This solution is a top-of-the-line CRM, I have used the others solutions, and it has the most flexibility and the best visibility.

I rate Jira a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
More Jira reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Microsoft Project
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.