JIRA Service Management Review

Easy to set up and fair pricing, but should provide packages solutions

What is our primary use case?

We're a service provider. We implement the solution for our clients.

Typically clients use Jira more around incident reporting management and resolution of queries, or SLA management. Then, sometimes, they need a range of compliance SLS's such as knowledge management.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to set up the solution.

What needs improvement?

JIRA Service Desk is really good when you have a primitive environment where most of the Atlassian applications are already present. However, if you are just using JIRA Service Desk for making leads for an IPS and solution, then it becomes really difficult to get all these IPS and capabilities up and running. This is due to the fact that in a native application, we don't get all these capabilities.

JSD has some analytics, but it's pretty much basic and simple dashboards. There's no mobile application for JSD. It really would benefit from better implementation with other vendors. We're heavily reliant on some external marketplace applications.

We don't find there's support for CMDB.

The notifications are limited. That is good if a client environment is small enough and they do not require any advanced or mature use cases, but if they require it, then that's when we face a lot of issues because Jira Service Desk doesn't compliment such advanced decisions.

Jira should offer package solutions and be much more focused on giving advanced capabilities. If they are not developing advanced capabilities, at least, what they can do is focus on providing a packaged solution to give their customers the flexibility to choose what type of business package they want - whether its operations based or finance related.

I've been using the latest version of the solution for the last couple of months. Before that, I used it last year as well. Overall, I've been using the solution close to a year now.

There are minor bugs and issues, however, I would describe the solution as quite stable.

With the number of applications on the marketplace continuing to grow, I would say the solution is quite scalable. The only challenges with scalability come with advanced use cases. There are some issues around their IPS and tools. Jira has the capabilities, however, they don't sell well for advanced cases.

Still, if you are talking about the ability to scale using tools and plugins, I would say that usually, Jira can scale quite effectively for clients.

When deploying or implementing, or even sometimes in day to day maintenance, if we encounter some issues, we will connect with technical support initially. There were a few issues, for example, around a server's speed and Jira wasn't quite performing well. As time has passed, it's gotten better.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's fairly easy to get everything up and running.

In our experience, deployment takes about two to there months, depending on the complexity.

In terms of the process we follow, we usually come back to do some groundwork around what exactly the requirements are. We ask: what are we trying to solve? Then we do an assessment of the client environment. We try to identify which is the best fit in terms of applications for this deployment. Once decided, we run tests to see if the application fits the necessary criteria. We try to identify what the default configurations will be and make sure we clarify those before going ahead with our deployment strategy.

The number of people involved in the deployment varies from client to client. If it's a small deployment, only five to ten people are needed. They may not be working all at the same time, but they'd have various roles in both deployment and maintenance. Afterwards, there will always be about three or four individuals that track support. These numbers can increase based on the number of tickets or the size of the organization. The highest amount of people we've worked with was about 30.

We implement the solution for our clients.

I'm not sure what the exact pricing is, but it's tiered based on the number of users. If a company has 10 users it might cost X but with 50 users it will cost Y. Outside solutions, such as plugins, may come at an extra cost. Apart from that, I don't think Jira has additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

While we largely deal with cloud deployments, we did recently have a client that requested an on-premises deployment.

The types of clients we have are small or medium-sized enterprises typically.

On a cost-basis, the product offering is very good.

Jira is very customer-centric. They really try to help users make the most out of their solution as well as other products. The plugins are all designed to make Jira even easier to use, even more user friendly, and serve to bridge the gap of features Jira might lack.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. We hear a lot of feedback from clients, and they mention the solution has some limitations.

Private Cloud

Other
More JIRA Service Management reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with ServiceNow
Learn what your peers think about JIRA Service Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.