Jive-n Review

The solution offers multiple communication types. It provides a way to integrate new affiliates into your organization.

What is most valuable?

• In comparison to other platforms, Jive-n provides the fastest way to integrate new affiliates into your organization. You can build a new "place" for a new affiliate in just two hours.
  • Gamification is included into any cloud version: This module is very fancy and good, and you can use it for initial user adoption.
  • The solution offers around 15 communication types (status, discussion, blog, document, file, event, etc.). You can choose to deploy only those that you need in your organization.

How has it helped my organization?

We implement Jive-n for customers. The main value is silo breaking.

What needs improvement?

The Jive-n concept of a digital workplace is backend integration. Users see one Jive-n interface and Jive-n makes calls to other systems. This means that Jive-n needs a lot of integration connectors to other systems, and they do that a lot.

But it is not enough for our local market where recognized platforms are popular like Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. There is a request to make more and more integrations to third-party products.

When Jive makes an integration – users still see Jive interface, not the App interface. Let’s imagine your company uses Jive as a digital workplace. And you want to add new App into your DW. For Jive, you need to do a lot of backend integration so that the userd still see the Jive activity stream.

The alternative to Jive's approach is visual integration. You make a widget that points to App X and when you click on this widget – it drives you to this App. So if you do visual DW approach – you just need to do a quite simple widget that gets a small bit of info from the App.

We have been using the solution for two years.

It is stable while you don’t make upgrades on new on-premise versions. You definitely need a sandbox to ensure that new upgrades are good.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

Standard Silver technical support is similar to standard support by all vendors, i.e., not quick enough. You can buy a Gold package to make it faster.

I am not aware of any previous solutions.

We didn't experience any problems during installation. A rich functionality means a rich menu. You need to train new users so that they understand the functionality. As a workaround, you could reduce the number of communication types available to make the menu as simple as you can.

It is a fair price, but first talk to a Jive representative. All the landscapes under Jive-n (databases, OS, etc.) are open source. You don’t have to pay for them.

One of our customers compared Jive-n to IBM Connections and Yammer.

IBMC is too complex and hard to adopt for users.

Yammer was too simple as they needed more functions.

What other advice do I have?

Most intranet platforms use a horizontal+vertical menu approach. Jive-n uses horizontal+horizontal menus. Some people really like that.

Request a Jive-n trial from Jivesoftware.com and show interfaces to decision makers or power sponsors. Even if it is empty, it doesn’t look like it is empty. This way you can achieve a quick “go/not go” understanding.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Jive resellers.