Jive Review

Used by our agile teams instead of email to track impediments.

What is most valuable?

Discovery, meaning that the more it's used, the more you find someone else has solved an issue you have, or has the same interest. This helps to reduce lifecycle times. The second feature is the pictures. For a geographically dispersed organization, knowing what a person looks like increases trust immediately.

How has it helped my organization?

It's used by our agile teams instead of email to track impediments. It's easy to onboard new associates to a group or a technology program, and it helps facilitate communication outwards to communities of interests.

What needs improvement?

Stream activity could be better organized. Activities or content you are following will either be emailed to you or you follow in a stream. This is the largest issue to overcome for new people using the solution. When using email they receive way too many and it becomes noise. If they use streams, it's yet another thing to check along with email, IM, etc.

I've used it for approximately five years.

The deployment teams needs to be trained on this product first. After that the deployment issues are specific to the environment it's being deployed to.

No stability issues. They have improved their redundancy solutions so it's an active active solution.

Scalability can be managed thru either server utilization monitoring or thru their admin portal. Either will show growth in usage that be the leading indicator to add more capacity.

They have a couple different models. First is their online community. It's an active community with both Jive Software and community members responding. For large enterprise they provide custom support which is negotiated.

Excellent technical support. Most of the infrastructure is open source (Lucene for example). Their technical staff is large enough to respond thoroughly.

We decided to use Jive Software approximately five to seven years ago. We compared SharePoint and IBM Connections with Jive. Jive came out on top for feature, price, and ability to meet regulatory needs.

It's straightforward based on their documentation and knowledge of their product.

We installed it in-house while we also leveraged professional services from Jive for the more complex areas which were specific to the regulatory solution we needed.

Ensure the licensing fits the sponsorship model needed. Pricing will come after that. Like all negotiations, make sure you have the right person negotiating. Vendors always have the upper hand.

The company I worked with completed their evaluation a very long time ago. Looking at the market place now I would recommend evaluation of Jive, SharePoint O365. Make sure your use cases are prioritized for the evaluation. Also determine how this fits into your broader computing ecosystem. If you are an Microsoft shop, SharePoint has been fit, although Jive has plugin to Microsoft products to make it easier. If you are an all Google shop, you might want to consider Jive or even Google new social product.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have executive sponsorship and they will participate. Have a strong community leader to drive up adoption. Start small with specific use cases and ways of measuring success and grow from there.

More Jive reviews from users
3 Comments

author avatarBusiness Analyst - Knowledge Management at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees

"Room for improvement": The Stream and Email (Noise) issues are training issues. Both can be managemed by the users managing their own preferences.

Jive as ALL providers still has issues with the EU privacy when hosted by Jive.

author avatarManaging Director Business Change and Quality Assurance at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island

The 'noise' is both a training and an adoption issue. Those comfortable with email might not 'get' what a stream is. And quite often they feel overloaded by emails. They basically are trying to manage their social interactions thru their email app - a flawed approach.

As for the EU privacy, what I've seen from Jive is that they listen to their customers and respond to the marketplace.