Joomla Review

This CMS lets you create an own website within minutes, no matter if the user has knowledge in coding, but you have to be very careful when it comes to choosing the right add-ons.

What is most valuable?

This CMS is very easy to use and can be enhanced with various modifications (most of them are free).

How has it helped my organization?

I didn't use it for the companies I worked for, but installed it for many people I know.

This CMS lets you create an own website within minutes, no matter if the user has knowledge in coding.

What needs improvement?

Joomla itself seems to be secure, but many add-ons are badly written and allow LFI, RFI, SQL injection and XSS attacks. You have to be very careful when it comes to choosing the right add-ons.

I wrote an article once which described the security risks of Joomla. There I suggested creating a catalog of certified add-ons which are secure.

I have been using it for almost 10 years.

No, deployment is very easy.

No, the CMS itself is stable. Keep in mind that the server running Joomla should be configured correctly, though.

So far, It wasn't necessary to scale Joomla. I don't know how it behaves with more than several hundred visitors daily.

There is no such thing since Joomla is an open source product, driven by a large and active community.

I am using Wordpress for running very simple websites. I found out that most people learn how to use Wordpress faster than learning how to deal with Joomla.

The setup of Joomla is very easy, like it should be for a CMS. Some PHP settings might need adjustments for fitting the setup requirements, but that's it.

I always implemented it myself.

It is free, so no license has to be obtained. However, some addons can be bought. Keep in mind that for most commercial addons, there is also a free alternative existing (but without commercial support).

I had a look at several CMS systems, like Drupal or OpenCMS. Joomla convinced me because it had all the features I needed for setting up an online magazine (e.g. article catagories).

What other advice do I have?

Keep your Joomla installation always up to date.