JotForm Review

The ability to automatically populate fields in a PDF has helped us stay compliant

What is our primary use case?

Our company has specific form-filling requirements that mandate the use of a specific PDF layout. JotForm helps us streamline information collection from our clients.

As there are multiple forms that contain the same information (fields) our staff and clients in the past had to manually fill each of the fields. For example, there is a requirement that the address was to be filled in three separate places. JotForm would reduce this rework by autocompleting it for us. We use JotForm's PDF filling feature to reduce duplicate filling.

How has it helped my organization?

JotForm has helped us collect data that otherwise would have been trapped in analogue forms. It has also helped us stay compliant as it allows you to automatically populate fields in a PDF. (It even has a signature field which has been super useful).

There are also custom notifications that help us notify the sales rep when there has been a request. And because there is an API, you can pretty much do anything.

Centralizing our data has also been very helpful in terms of audits. In the past, it was up to reps to collect and ensure the correct data was being collected. JotForm's response validation has helped reduce the chance for human error.

What is most valuable?

The "import from PDF" has been a lifesaver for our company. It allows you to upload an existing PDF form and it automatically creates form fields for you! (It's not perfect but still surprisingly accurate). These are all available in the free plan, you can choose the higher tier plans which allow for more forms and submissions.

If you dont have an existing PDF you can just build one yourself with the PDF designer. Although, I found the builder still a little underpowered in terms of flexibility in the design and positioning of the fields.

What needs improvement?

As of writing (June 2020), JotForm appears to be migrating from an older platform and UI. They definitely need to streamline the seemingly duplicate analytics and reports pages. Some of these pages cant even be accessible from the home page (you have to go via an intermediate menu).

Another thing i would like to see improved is the PDF builder. As mentioned above, it is simply not flexible enough in terms of field positioning. They tried to implement the "block" method of design used in many wysiwyg website builders but in my opinion, is not appropriate for PDF forms.

We have been using this product for about 2 weeks now and we can already see the benefits.

Stability is decent, a little clunky on less powerful PCs. I haven't seen a crash yet.

Scalability in terms of the number of responses is easily achieved through upgrading the subscription.

I have not used technical support.

We've been printing out and manually filling out forms in the past. Only due to legal requirements in our industry. Only when the regulators allowed digitally filled forms did we switch.

The initial setup is very simple and intuitive.

As we are currently on the free plan, it is an infinite ROI. Although we are considering upgrading.

There is no setup cost involved, you can simply start off the with free plan. It's not a free trial. If you want to increase your quota, they have monthly subscription plans.

We tried Google Forms as that was the most widely used but it was limited in its options such as signature and PDF form filling.

What other advice do I have?

If you are a small business needing something a little more powerful than Google Forms, use JotForms.