Juniper Enterprise Routers Review

High capacity throughput and a flexible MPLS configuration

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as the backbone of our network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the capacity of the throughput for the firewall.

The flexibility in the MPLS configuration is very good.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution should be improved.

If you have a VPN tunnel with one side Juniper and the other side Cisco then you might face some issues.

We have been using this solution for about four years.

In terms of stability, this is one of the best solutions that I have ever seen. In the Arab Gulf areas like Dubai, we have some deployments that are more than ten years old and they are still stable. They should be phased out, but they are still in production and stable.

It is possible that you might find some bugs, but this happens in any product. I would say this is one of the crucial areas, but if you have the OneTouch service with Juniper then you will receive the bulletins and updates for bug fixes.

Technical support for Juniper is good, but it is not as good as Cisco. Cisco is number one for technical support, and Juniper may be the second.

We also have experience with Cisco routers, and their technical support is number one.

When you are not familiar with this solution it seems difficult to configure and deploy. Once you have the proper training and hands-on experience, it is not that difficult.

For me, the initial setup is straightforward. I configure the hostname, use the interfaces, and configure the routing. All of this stuff should be included in the low-level design. We have developed a template to make this easier.

If everything is ready, including the high-level and low-level design, then you can deploy this solution in approximately two hours.

We deploy this solution ourselves, and we are careful to take steps in order to avoid downtime. We also take the In-Service Software Upgrade (ISSU) into consideration.

An additional license can be purchased for support of a next-generation firewall.

What other advice do I have?

Juniper is a leading company in the MPLS technology, which is one of the reasons that they are used more often than Cisco by service providers.

My advice to anybody who is implementing this device is to have the proper training, first. It should not be configured before the training is complete. Also, be sure to understand the product and the features that it has to offer. In most of the cases that I have seen, the company is not really aware of the features. This means that they might have sizing issues with the product and end up with the wrong one. The high-level and low-level design should be based on the actual requirements.

Sometimes, adding services to the appliance is not what you want to do. You can use this router only for routing tables in some cases because, for service providers, the routing table size is one of the major factors. Whether it is Cisco, Juniper, Fortinet, or Palo Alto, you will see a reduction in throughput for every service that is added to the appliance. This is why proper design is so important.

Overall, this is a good device.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.