Juniper Enterprise Routers Review

User-friendly, efficient, and has good functionality

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is as a border router.

What is most valuable?

I think that extensions are very valuable. The way you can test the configuration before applying that configuration permanently is very helpful. The rollback configuration is also very useful. The logs, the way they have implemented their system, it is similar to a Linux machine. These features work very well.

What needs improvement?

As with almost any product except for something that is already free there is always room for improvement in the price. If you wanted to use some type of server, you have to buy the license. I would like to see more options for free, legal usage of features.

In terms of improvement, I would like for it to effectively protect against the broadcast storms, multicast storms, and DDoS attacks.

We have been using Juniper Enterprise Routers for about six years now.

Stability is excellent. Really excellent.

There are three or four thousand end-users daily. We require four technicians for maintenance.

Scalability is an aspect in which we'd like to have more options. It's not easy to scale when we are limited to one or two 10G ports.

I believe that their current setup for support is an acceptable solution in general terms. They have quite a nice support system where you can find things easily by yourself. We're really happy about this.

Before using this solution we were previously using Cisco routers. We switched because we wanted 10G bandwidth from our provider. 10-G slots in Cisco were very, very expensive.

The setup for the solution was surprisingly straightforward. I think it was because we just migrated from a Cisco router. There were tools available on the internet that translated the Cisco commands to Juniper commands. So it was very easy to do and very straightforward to build the new configuration.

The leaning curve was not very steep.

The deployment took about two days working full-time and the only person involved in the deployment process was me.

At one point we did use the help of an integrator but it was some point later after the initial configuration was done. We did that initial configuration directly from what we already had, using only the translation tools.

Because we were not migrating. We were not inventing anything new. We were not building anything new. We were just migrating. That was why it was so easy. We already had the configuration, and we just wanted to deploy it to the new equipment. It was not custom, so it was simple.

What other advice do I have?

Juniper is very user-friendly, efficient, and we're very happy with it. I don't know if there are other vendors that have the same kind of service out there. We are very pleased with the performance of the Juniper router.

The biggest I lesson I learned from using Juniper is never go back to Cisco.

I would rate it a ten out of ten. We're very happy with the current functionality.

More Juniper Enterprise Routers reviews from users