Juniper Enterprise Routers Review

Good flexibility, capacity, and firewall throughput

What is our primary use case?

The Juniper routers make up the backbone of networks for our customers. The majority of them are service providers, although some of them are enterprise-level organizations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the capacity and throughput of the firewall. It is measure in terabytes.

The flexibility of the MPLS configuration is very good.

What needs improvement?

If you are setting up a site-to-site VPN between a Juniper and Cisco device then you may encounter some issues. Cisco devices need to use a GRE tunnel, which is not needed on Juniper devices. Juniper runs directly on it, and it is called a Secure Tunnel Interface.

The technical support varies by region and can be slightly improved.

I have been using Juniper Enterprise Routers for around four years.

These switches are very stable. I have some customers in banking and other industries in the Arab Gulf areas like the UAE, Dubai, and Saudi Arabia who have been running for more than ten years. Some of the devices need to be phased out, but they are still in production and stable.

As with any other product, you might find bugs. However, it is acceptable and can happen with any vendor. This is one of the crucial areas with Juniper because if you have OneTouch Service, the updates and bulletins are available.

With respect to scalability, this is one of the best solutions that I have ever seen. I have been deploying solutions for ten years in the Arab Gulf areas like the UAE, Dubai, and Saudi Arabia.

The quality of technical support depends on the region. For me, Cisco is number one in technical support, regardless of my preference for products from Palo Alto and Juniper, Cisco is number one in terms of response time and ticket tracking.

With respect to Juniper, I think that they might come in second.

I have used similar solutions by Cisco and Palo Alto.

The Cisco technical support is superior.

This solution is not difficult to deploy. I would say that it is straightforward. However, the first time somebody does it, they might find it difficult to deploy and configure. This is because they aren't familiar with it. When somebody has the proper training and hands-on experience, it is not that difficult.

If the high-level design and low-level design is in place, and the high availability deployment areas are ready, then it will take approximately two hours to deploy. This time includes production testing that avoids downtime, and we also consider the In-Service Software Upgrade (ISSU).

Where I am working now, it is very easy because we have all of the templates. It doesn't take much time. I can imagine that in some enterprise environments they take longer because they are lacking the technical hands, or the tools, or the templates.

I have hands-on experience deploying this solution for our customers.

What other advice do I have?

Juniper is a leading company in MPLS technology and its equipment was one of the first ones that were ready for it. This is why juniper devices are often used by service providers, more so than Cisco devices. Juniper is one of the leaders in deploying the ISSU feature, although it now exists in Cisco and other solutions as well.

Certain Juniper models can be used only for the routing tables, which is important because in some cases, the routing table size is one of the factors.

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to first have the proper training to help understand the product and all of its features. In most cases that I have seen, the company will order the device and are not aware of the features. They might have issues with sizing or getting the wrong product. Customers need to review the products in the context of their requirements and then build the high-level and low-level designs based on those requirements. Absolutely, you should not try to configure the device before completing the training because you need to take security into consideration.

Overall, this is a good device.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

More Juniper Enterprise Routers reviews from users