Juniper Ethernet Switches Review

Flexible, good performance, and easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers and we are vendor agnostic. We try to find a solution that best fits the customer's needs and this is one of the products that we implement for them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the Junos operating system. It's an open-source operating system that lets you use the programming languages with it, to tailor it. You can develop automation scripts with JSON or other different programming languages.

Most of the switches are SDN ready, they are 5G ready, and they are going to incorporate wireless into their switches.

It's a flexible platform.

In terms of speed, being the total processing speed and total bandwidth per box, they usually outpace most competitors.

Juniper Ethernet Switches meet the needs of just about every customer.

What needs improvement?

There are no weaknesses that I know of with Juniper.

When it comes to Juniper and other vendors such as Cisco, it comes down to pricing. Customers want value for the least amount of money.

Some areas of technical support could be better.

With this current company I have been using Juniper Ethernet Switches for two years but for me, I have worked with them off and on for 20 years.

This solution is stable, it's rock solid.

Juniper Ethernet Switches are scalable. If you want to scale, you can go from a small enterprise switch up to service provider-type switches, and the configurations are going to be the same.

Technical support is good. None of them are great, but I think they are pretty good. It depends on who you get, from level 1 and up.

From sales technical support, they are excellent. From technical support out in the field, they might be average. Experiences may vary.

Some can be technically smart, but they haven't had the experience of actually troubleshooting and going through scenarios.

I am mainly in sales support. If I have to go in and do some configuration, it's pretty straightforward.

It's not complex, but it is generally other SEs who configure the switches and routers.

What other advice do I have?

You can have Junos as your operating system but if you wanted to write a script to automatically update all of the versions of your software, you can do that automatically.

If you wanted to gather information, you can write a script using JSON, or Python. This is already available on the Junos operating system.

Cisco is the most popular, but if you have seasoned or experienced people like DevOps that write code and they are engineers, then Juniper would be the better choice because they have the flexibility to do that. Cisco is starting to catch up now, where you can automate Cisco's switches using the same methods. To this point, Junos has been way ahead of Cisco in that aspect.

Because of our relationship, customers can better pricing with us. Cisco tends to be a little higher.

Before getting started you have to know your network, know the current state of your network, and know what are the pain points of your network are. Do you see bottlenecks in your network? Is your equipment responsive? Is your data backing up, because you don't have enough bandwidth? There are many factors to consider and it depends on the network and where the switches are going.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More Juniper Ethernet Switches reviews from users