Juniper Ethernet Switches Review

Robust, scalable, and easy to install, but it's expensive

What is most valuable?

Both Juniper and Cisco switches are interoperable. They talk to each other.

The interoperability is very good, but with some switches, it is very rare.

What needs improvement?

The problem is with Juniper is the OS. Not everyone knows about Junos. If they are comfortable with using Junos then it will be the best switch. More people are accustomed to the Cisco platform, especially with the CLI or the graphical interfaces.

Juniper has its own operating system called Junos.

I would like the ability to integrate with other operating systems.

I have worked for Juniper for three years.

It is very strong and very stable.

It's scalable. With the Juniper switches, all switches are L3 switches, which is a three-layer switch.

The 24 port EX2300 comes with four slots of 10 gig fiber.

We have approximately 30 percent of the market share for clients.

There is no improvement needed with technical support.

The initial setup is very easy. The setup is not a problem, as long as you know the operating system very well, especially the Junos operating system.

As long as you understand the operating system, Juno's interface, and all of the commands, it doesn't take much time to deploy. It's very easy.

It's similar to Cisco, but you need to concentrate.

You need two to three people to maintain this solution.

The pricing is very aggressive. The only disadvantage with Juniper is the modules are very expensive lately.

It could be cheaper, but they are always expensive.

If you want support with Juniper you will have to use Juniper modules, otherwise, you don't get the technical support.

For example, third-party modules can be integrated into Cisco, but with Juniper, if you want technical support directly, you can only use the Juniper modules. When tech support takes control, they will recognize whether it is a Juniper module or third-party modules.

Juniper switches come with either one year, three years, or five years of support.

When comparing, Cisco comes with five years.

What other advice do I have?

If you look at the market shares, Cisco is more than Juniper.

I would definitely recommend this solution to others, but not Huawei. I would not recommend Huawei, there is no chance for Huawei in the market.

I would rate Juniper Ethernet Switches a six out of ten.

More Juniper Ethernet Switches reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco Ethernet Switches
Learn what your peers think about Juniper Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.